Need help with a multivitamin

MotivatedMomma
on 11/30/14 11:59 am, edited 11/30/14 12:02 pm
DS on 10/20/14

I am about 5 weeks post op, revision to DS with a re-sleeve.  I'm getting my fluids and most of my protein in.  I am struggling with vitamins.  Because I'm a new post-op, my schedule isn't that "intense."  I am supposed to take poly iron 2x per day, a multi vit 2x per day, calcium citrate tables 2x per day, upcal powder 2x per day, and vit d and vit a emulsion drops too.  I also left the hospital with a prescription bottle of potassium supplements.

I have no problems taking the iron.  Its like a tylenol.  Because of what I've read on here, I take it with chewable vit C.  I also take a sublingual b12, because I always did as a VSG patient.

I cannot find a multivitamin I can tolerate.  I started with an expensive liquid, Aqueous MultiPlus.  It was good at first, now I can't even have it in my mouth, I just gag.  I switched to chewable Centrum.  They are ok, but its getting harder and harder to take them. (same goes for the chewable vit C)

I am having the same problem with the upcal.  I can't swallow anything its mixed in.  It's so weird.  I put it in my mouth and I just CANNOT make it go down. 

I only take a few DROPS of the emulsion vitamins.  A few weeks ago, I would've told you they have no taste.  Today, I can assure you, they are vile and I can detect ONE DROP of them mixed into any food or beverage.

The potassium pills are huge and a very weird texture.  They start disintegrating almost immediately.  GAG.  They are so salty.  I've tried mixing them, crushing them, etc.  Just cant do it!!

So what I am asking is this - I feel like a big priority is the multivitamin - what should I try?  I never bothered with gummies because they are so lame nutritionally.  I suppose I could if they are better than nothing.  After my VSG in 2011, I never needed gummies/liquids etc.  This time is so different.  I don't want a chewable, I hate them.  Liquids are worse!  But what can I take that is not bigger than a tylenol? I feel like time is passing by so I need to get these vitamins in, instead of brushing it off because "I am new post op."

Laproscopic VSG May 2011

SW 325 LW 225

Revision to open DS 10/20/14 with Dr. Lutryzkowski

SW 269  GW 175, Dream weight 140

airbender
on 11/30/14 12:14 pm

congrats on your DS...now you are only 5 weeks, you will be ok, forget the gummies give them to your kids, i did purchase one bottle of centrum chewables and that was it.   Get a pill splitter and use that., dont crush them but split them.  btw multivitamins are not your priority, depending on your preop state and no deficiencies, you should concentrate on ca citrate, I couldnt do upcal,  split those ca citrates, biotech vitd3-that is an easy one, and your K you can cut them also, put them deep in the back of  your tongue or they will disintegrate very fast, I take K also. if you need Fe take one that doesnt need vit C, like proferrin forte (RX, much better)  forget crushing vit/min yuck.  do a little at a time take something every hour you will get used to it, will just take some time.  you will be ok but at the begining it is a full time job just taking pills

MotivatedMomma
on 11/30/14 1:00 pm
DS on 10/20/14

Thanks for the advice of the pill splitter! I hadn't thought of that, so I'll get one.

My dr did originally prescribe Proferrin forte, but the pharmacy said its not an rx anymore, over the counter only now.  Except I can't find it anywhere, even online.

Thanks again!

hollykim
on 11/30/14 11:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you can buy proferin from their website. Google proferin forte and it should come 

airbender
on 12/1/14 6:22 am, edited 12/1/14 6:26 am

proferrin comes in multiple forms, proferrin es is over the counter, proferring forte which is 12/1,- I still get mine from my pharmacy with a $5 copay as of this past Saturday

PeteA
on 11/30/14 12:43 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hmm. At 5 weeks do you think you could handle your multi in tablet form? Maybe it would be easier to have 
something you just swallow instead of a chewable. Maybe just try a regular Centrum for a while.

I wonder on the stuff that tastes bad you might add liquid crystal light to mask the taste?

This is probably just a passing phase while you are healing. Hopefully it goes away in a week or two.

pete

MotivatedMomma
on 11/30/14 1:02 pm
DS on 10/20/14

I tried a regular vitamin, and i can't make it go down if its bigger than a tylenol.  I have no idea what's wrong with me!  I didn't have any of these problems after my original surgery.  I hope you are right and it's just a passing phase.

PeteA
on 11/30/14 1:13 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Lets hope so. Maybe split the bigger pills to an easier size. Just looking for ways for you to 
avoid getting the taste. It can be pretty awful to try and force stuff like that.

larra
on 12/1/14 3:32 am - bay area, CA

I had a terrible time with pills post-op also. We never did figure out why. The good news is that this will get better with time. In the meantime, a pill splitter makes a huge difference. You can get one at Walmart for about $5.00. Any drug store should have them also. Very easy to use.

The most important vitamins for you to get started on are the fat soluble ones, esp A, D, and K. Get the "dry" forms either from Vitalady or from the manufacturer, Biotech. Vitalady's prices are better. They are small and easy to swallow. Start now, it's much easier to maintain good levels than it is to catch  up when they drop.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 12/1/14 6:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Since you're taking some pills already, how about switching to pills all together?

I was taking 12 capsules a day as soon as I was home from the hospital.  It will be slow at first, but manageable.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes