Having problems with my post-op diet

bitDaddy
on 11/30/14 8:19 am
DS on 11/18/14

My surgeon is relatively new to doing DS procedures, though he is a very experienced barratrie surgeon. As a result, I think that a lot of my post op advice is based on his experience with bypasses. So my post op diet is very conservative when I compare it to others I have found on the internet. My diet is basically a liquid diet for a full month-protein shakes, yogurt and sugar free jell-o and pudding.  On top of this all my vitamins are sweet chewables.

I never was one for meets to begin with and now I am completely over them to the point that I don't even want to eat and when I do I can barely Stomach what I eat because the sweetness completely turns me away. I can't even drink crystal-light at this point which I absolutely loved before.

I've two More weeks of this and I'd really appreciate any advice the community may have as I am sure I cant be the first person to go through this.

Thank You!

Valerie G.
on 11/30/14 8:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sadly, there are far too many surgeons and nutritionists that give DS patients advice for RNY.  One thing you want to know before you progress on your own is whether or not your surgeon put a silastic ring on you.  If they did, then the slow progression is necessary. 

As for the vitamins, first I applaud you for getting started right away.  I never took chewables....ever....as a post-op.  I took 12 capsules, in fact, my first day home from the hospital.

For water - anything wet counts, and preferably decaffeinated.  Crystal Light was poison to me, too, for several months.  Try all kinds of flavors, sweeteners and even temperatures.  I did great on ice cold green koolaid and lukewarm sweet tea (I used Splenda with both).  Funny enough, they were my childhood favorites, so I think I got some emotional comfort from them, too.  It's important that you find something and fast.  Your body doesn't accept excuses - it just reacts, and dehydration SUCKS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 11/30/14 10:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

have you tried beef or chicken broth? It is story and you can have all you can drink of it. 

For choc flavor protein mixes,add about anteaspoonof unsweetened cocoa to them. It really cuts the sweetness. 

Have you tried Greek yogurt with a little sweetener?it is often on liquod diets if pudding is. Same consistency. 

Look for some water flavoring a like Mio to add to your water. You add them by the squirt so ou can control the amount of flavor. 

Many find hot tea,I like e flavored ones,go down really easy too.

K P.
on 11/30/14 11:54 am, edited 11/30/14 11:55 am
DS on 07/08/14

Ugh those chewable are horrible. I couldn't stand them and preferred to crush my regular vitamins, then after a month I was told I could take small pills so I cut them in half, after a few weeks of that I gave up and took them whole. 

I found that ice cold diluted apple juice is what got me through the initial stages of surgery. They gave me some in the hospital and I hit my liquid goal from there on out. I was never really an apple juice, or juice drinker before surgery either. I mixed anywhere from 25% apple juice to 50% juice with water and did fine. I eventually just switched to plain water, but the colder the better. Now, I can drink water like normal again. It was odd, but I would have had a hard time without it. Now if I did this I would probably go into shock from all the sugar - but it didn't seem to affect me the same way early out. 

What brand of protein shakes are you using? I love premier protein in chocolate. The vanilla is too sweet for me. But there are also some unflavored proteins out there. Do you have a GNC close by? They have a pretty good selection of protein mixes and if you buy it and decide you don't like it you can take it back within 30 days. I signed up for their member program (I think it was $15 for 2 years) and have definitely got my money worth! I have also read on the RNY boards about an unflavored protein mix called Genepro. I guess you mix 1 Tablespoon into any liquid and you get 30grams of protein. You can buy it on Amazon.

As far as your progression goes, that does seem like a really long time on liquids. My husband is having RNY (I had DS) and thats even longer than his Dr recommends liquids. He is doing two weeks before surgery as liquid, then one week after, then pureed then soft solids. Mine was similar except I only had to do a week of pre op dieting. I ate a lot of cottage cheese, and tuna fish. (Now I can't seem to handle tuna) Have you asked why he wants you to be on a liquid diet so long after? Maybe he feels like it will give you a higher weight loss overall. Or he wants you to do it because you are starting with a high BMI. I would call him or your nut and see if you can progress to soft solids though.  

Best of luck and hang in there. It does get easier. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PeteA
on 11/30/14 12:48 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Beef and chicken broth really helped me too.  Water with lemon as a balance to the sweet drinks.
The flavored teas too. If you can do yogurt you could do strained cream soups too.

I find optimum nutrition 100% whey mixed with water soesn't have that sweet taste of things like Syntrax nectar.

You might also fudge a little and add cottage cheese with pepper.

bitDaddy
on 12/1/14 4:13 am
DS on 11/18/14

Thanks everyone for the really good advice. I've printed out some of the other plans I've found and I've made an appointment with my doctor and, in the end, if he feels really strongly that I need to stay on this for another month then I guess that's what I'll do. The good news, though, is that I finally found a flavor of crystal light that I actually like - fruit punch. The weird thing is that I didn't like it much at all before my surgery, but I'll take what I can get. :)