DS vs Loop Ds

larra
on 11/28/14 12:08 pm - bay area, CA

To the best of my knowledge, which I admit freely could be wrong, Dr. Metz does not do the full, not-loop DS at all. At least, I have not heard of him doing the DS, only the loop. This is not to say that he isn't a good surgeon or that he couldn't do it, just that he isn't known for doing the DS. That's why people from Colorado usually go to Utah or elsewhere for the DS.

Removing the lap band is an all too common procedure that every bariatric surgeon seems to have  lots of experience with these days, as so many of them either fail or have complications, and thus the reoperation rate for lap band is the highest of any bariatric surgery. Sometimes they are difficult to remove, if there is a lot of scar tissue or if they have eroded into the stomach, but usually they come out without too much problems, and thus the presence of your lap band should not determine whether you have the classic DS or just the loop DS. The real issue will prove to be who your surgeon is.

If Dr. Metz is not willing to offer you the surgery you want, you need to look elsewhere, and you will need to travel. IMHO it's well worth the effort. Do what you believe is best for you, not what is easiest to obtain. Make this your final bariatric surgery.

Larra

southernlady5464
on 12/1/14 2:11 am

IF you are not self pay but going thru an insurance, the Loop DS is NOT an accepted procedure YET. It might end up at some point. And if coded as a DS but done as a Loop, it could be considered insurance fraud which would mean that the insurance company could refuse to pay and hold you responsible for the entire bill.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

newlifetax
on 12/1/14 9:03 am, edited 12/1/14 10:38 am
DS on 10/27/14

This is false info. Insurance does approve SADI-S. Mine was approved by blue cross back in October. There is no cpt code for it so the dr office has to use one code for a sleeve and a second code for the intestinal anastomosis. The second code triggered a denial because bcbs said the intestinal part was not medically necessary. This was easily corrected when my surgeon did a peer to peer review with the medical director at bcbs. It is a little more complicated than asking for a traditional ds but insurance does cover it and it is not fraud. 

Valerie G.
on 12/1/14 6:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've seen way too many docs all of a sudden doing the sleeve in the last few years, and now are jumping on this loop DS bandwagon.  This is bothersome to me in the lack of skill with this technique.  The sleeve-only docs are leaving weird mishapen sleeves that the DS docs have perfected..many even without the use of the blessed bougie.  This seems to be similar with the Loop DS.  There are many docs all of a sudden doing this procedure that never before offered the real DS.  I'm afraid this Dr. Metz may be one of those.  If he messes something up, though, there won't be many options to get something repaired, and that would be my fear since it's so new. 

This is going to be a leap of faith for you, for sure. 

Early results appear to be going well for the SADI patients, so it's promising so far.  Only time will give us the long term results and potential effects. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

chevtow41
on 12/1/14 7:07 am
DS on 11/11/14

You need to decide if you're willing to be a guinea pig of sorts or if you'd rather go with a proven surgery. DON'T be talked into a surgery you don't want, even if you have to wait a little longer. Life is too short for regrets. Good luck whichever way you choose.

Forever1
on 12/2/14 2:28 am

Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/14 11:42 am

I had the Loop DS 3 weeks ago. I'm back at work with no side effects; no fatigue, no gas, no foul smelling stools. To date I've lost about 25lbs, and I'm losing 1/2 to 3/4 every day. The loop has been performed for about 3 years and the studies to date are very positive. I can't tell you which option you should choose, but the lack of side effects is a major plus for me, and I am expecting the long term vitamins to be the only real negative; however only time will tell. So far, I'm very happy with the loop option.

SWEETMEL7
on 12/1/14 6:40 pm - NY

Hi. I had the loop DS with Dr Roslin on 12/3/13. On Wednesday it will be my one year anniversary.i I went from 268 to 116 pounds. I do have the bad gas and bad smelling stools but I noticed if I eat to much fat this will occur. As for the vitamins I take a multi, high ADEK, iron, calcium citrate, folic acid and thiamine. The only issue is low vitamin D. 

Forever1
on 12/2/14 2:40 am

Wow!!!!! That is 56% of your original 268. Great job!! Yeah, I have read eating to much fat will cause those problems.

So it seems the loop DS worked for you. Can you remember how much weight you lost the first 6 months?

Gee, your story gives me great hope. If I lost just 50% of my current weight it would put me at 205, well below my one year goal of 270

Thanks

SWEETMEL7
on 12/2/14 3:32 am - NY

Day of surgery I was 268 and in the beginning of may I was 165.from may to August I was about 120 and I stabilized with the weight loss. I haven't gained. I just wanted to stop losing. I went to Dr Roslin in August along with meeting with the nutritionist in order to stop losing and it worked. I eat very healthy along with my taste buds have changed. I love fish, chili and skirt steak.. these  are my favorites.. I enjoy food more now than before because my focus is different, now.