DS vs Loop Ds

Forever1
on 11/26/14 12:51 pm

Does anyone have comments about the loop DS vs standard DS. My surgery date is 12/09/2014 and my doctor wants to do a loop DS. I weigh 405 and my BMI is 52. All pro and con comments would be appreciated.

larra
on 11/27/14 2:22 am - bay area, CA

The DS has well documented longterm results that are the best of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. the loop DS has promising short term results but longterm results are not known. It would appear to have less malabsorption that the DS, esp less fat malabsorption, and it's the malabsorption that seems to get us the good longterm maintenance results with the DS.

Personally, I would not accept an operation with unknown longterm results. Obviously, there was a time when the DS was new also, and someone had to go first, so to speak, but that day is long behind us. Esp given your weight and bmi, I would want an operation with the best possible and most well documented longterm results, but you must make your own decision.

Larra

Star0210
on 11/27/14 2:58 am
DS on 11/28/14

Go to page two of the posts and you'll find a thread about and comments from several people who ha e had it.

who is your surgeon?

Forever1
on 11/27/14 3:22 am

Thanks, my surgeon is Dr. Metz in Denver Colorado.

Honeyshell
on 11/28/14 9:36 am

Hi dr.metz was my dr too. He is a wonderful surgeon. I had the DS loop. On July 21st. To date I have lost 60 lbs. I started out at 239 and I am super happy with my results. I had no complications. I came home with none of my meds and still am med free. I take all my vits as instructed. My surgery was at Rose Medical. They are fabulous. Please feel free to private message me and we can talk more. Btw, I live 4 hours from parker but never felt that far from dr. Metz!!!

Forever1
on 11/30/14 12:54 am

Thanks for the info.I would love to private message you. I have lots of questions. You will have to tell me how to do the private message.

Thanks,

Jesse

Honeyshell
on 12/1/14 2:55 am

I sent you a pm. Hopefully you will get it. It is usually up in the  right hand corner of your screen, by your username. Talk with you soon, Honey

PattyL
on 11/28/14 12:51 am

Has he ever done a DS before?  If so, how many?  I would want an experienced surgeon.  Most of the people I know in Colorado go to Utah.

The loop DS is an experimental procedure and hasn't been studied enough to say for sure is as 'good' as the DS.  It may be as good.  We just don't know.  The loop DS is an easier surgery for the DOCTOR.

Me personally, I would want the real thing.  I would want the most bang for the buck.  The best possible chance of getting the weight off and keeping it off.

The DS is one heck of a ride.  It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  Almost like getting a do-over!

PeteA
on 11/28/14 2:27 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The only real issue as far as I'm concerned is the lack of adequate stats on the loop. It's  "new" only in
relative terms. I wouldn't call it experimental any more.

The things I would consider to be on the pro
side for a standard DS 1)  Greater total weight loss - this may be important to you starting at 405. I was
464 at surgery and with a standard DS I am down to high 230's.  2) Lower amount of regain - it seems like 
most people experience some weight regain from any WLS - it is just less for the standard DS. I don't have
the info to compare the loop DS on those 2 points but the lower malabsorption of the loop makes me leery. Maybe your
surgeon can give you some more comparitive information.
Malabsorption is definitely a 2-edged sword. I haven't had trouble with my DS so I don't think the loop is worth
the chance of not achieving goal. Good luck, Just work whichever choice you make as well as possible.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Forever1
on 11/28/14 3:22 am

Pete, 

thanks for the info. I want the standard DS. When I had my pre surgery appointment on the 11/26 I know he mentioned the loop ds but with all the other questions I forgot to ask him why the loop. I did send him an email on the 27th at the end of the day so I am sure he will respond on Monday 12/1

I look at this is as my last surgery for weight loss. Dr. Metz here in Colorado was recruited from the Cleveland clinic. It. Could be because the loop has less complications and he will also be removing my lap band at the same time, thus all of that with my age at 62 he might feel it would be safer for me. However, I do understand that but I had wanted this when I got my lap band in 2006 but allowed my Doctor (not Dr Metz) to talk me into the lap band. 

I want the best possible outcome in weight loss. My research about DS has tolfd me it is tried and true.  There is not enough documentation on the loop ds though promising. I am fully ready to risk my life for the chance of greater reward of weight loss and an  improved quality of life.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts. I would like to reach a goal weight of 220 by 18 months with260 as my goal in 12 months. Do you feel these are realistic goals based upon your experience?

Thanks,

Jesse