Day 8 Post Op! Woohoo!

AngelnChains
on 11/25/14 1:01 am
DS on 11/17/14

Hello all! Im new here AND 8 days post op so I could use all the advice I can get. Survived surgery, then spent the first night dry heaving :( but a week out and now just battling to find what I can and cant digest .... any suggestions? I appear to be a bit lactose intolerant right now as well . 

Star0210
on 11/25/14 2:57 am
DS on 11/28/14

Congratulations!

AngelnChains
on 11/25/14 9:34 am
DS on 11/17/14

Thank you :)

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/14 7:57 am

Congratulations - I am 15 days post OP and know exactly what you are going through. I would suggest introducing soft foods chewed well like eggs, ricotta cheese, liverwurst, and anything else easy to digest with high protein. Obviously greek yogurt, hummus, and avocado are also good healthy candidates.

AngelnChains
on 11/25/14 9:37 am
DS on 11/17/14

Congrats yourself! :) unfortunately I dont get to start those until next Monday but am looking forward to it! I happen to love everything you mentioned. How are you adjusting? any complications or issues?

PeteA
on 11/28/14 3:06 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Congrats! Docs are all over the place on what people can eat/not eat after surgery. Can you give
us an idea of what kinds of foods they suggest at this point and we can give more appropriate suggestions.
At 8 days I was doing strained cream soup, broth, S.F. breakfast drinks (with milk - showed me pretty
quickly that I came out of it with some lactose intolerance). I probably cheated with a slice of cheese at
that point too. I couldn't stand any liquids that were too thick and, for me, warm liquids went better than cold.

bitDaddy
on 11/28/14 10:26 am, edited 11/28/14 10:27 am
DS on 11/18/14

You sure are right about the being all over the place concerning post-ops diets. My doctor is relatively new to doing DS -I think I am somewhere around his 50th. Because of this, I think they're being very conservative when it comes to the post-op diet. My official diet is full liquids for the first 4-weeks after surgery and then I move to soft foods for another 4 weeks. Reading the packet they gone me its pretty obvious that it was written for bypass patients and lightly edited for the DS patients.

For the last few days I've been researching what other doctors do and it seems to me that a fairly large number of DS patients Move to a soft foods diet at two weeks out. I  haven't decided what to do yet. On one hand I think its perfectly safe but on the other I'd really like to avoid ******g off my Surgeon. 

I think right now I am just tired of almost everything I "eat" being sweet. I've been on this diet for a month now (counting pre-op) and I am desperate to just chew something. On the plus side My pallate is completely cleansed now and my taste and smell are both turned up to eleven. I had a bit of tomato bisque today and it was absolutely amazing.

AngelnChains
on 11/28/14 10:31 am
DS on 11/17/14

Thanks Pete! my doc sounds alot like yours, secondary liquid diet with soft cream soups, yogur****ered down cream of wheat ect.... after a few days YUCK haha. I also have found that I have a lactose intolerance now that I didnt have before so thats a bit of a challenge. Im considering unflavored protein powder added to foods in lieu of the shakes all the time for variety as well as some of the protein powder shakes Ive blended to make smoothies. I find I can tolerate that if I use water and powdered milk. Warm liquids were a challenge at first  but seem ok now. Monday I go to puree! Im actually excited lol