Hello all - some golden advice please

Jaimieiola
on 11/24/14 5:35 am - Wymondham, United Kingdom

Thanks so much Valerie!

Dolphingirl1385
on 11/25/14 8:08 am

Hello valerie

I just had my 6 month post op check yesterday (5 1/2 months post surgery) and all my labs were great.  My surgeon told me to continue taking what I am taking now which is multi, calcium, b-12 and D3.  I am not taking A or K, and specifically asked him about these. His reply was that my A levels were great and there are no good ways to measure K, so unless I have symptoms of low K dont worry about it.  He said stick to multi, calcium, D and B and do labs again in three months, at that point if anything is low I will add as necessary. What do you think?

Valerie G.
on 11/26/14 2:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're still very new, and you need to be aware and familiar with your own lab numbers, so ask for a copy of the labs to be sent to you every time you get them.  You want to compare your current with your past labs, noting any downward trends.  Docs and their staff will tell you you're "fine" and not notice that your numbers have gone down from last draw...only that they are 'in range' or close enough that nobody's concerned yet.  The problem comes when something goes beyond that comfortable range, it can take way too long to get it back up.  When my D plummeted to 12, it took me 2 years to get it back to a normal range.  My doc wasn't at all concerned until this happened, and wasn't aggressive enough about raising it either. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

wildkat
on 12/16/14 10:36 am - Boise, ID

I haven't been on for several years, post DS 3 years.  Have done great until my Vit D dropped to 17. This has been aggressively treated with 50000 u every week, no improvement, increased to every other day then to every day. Last draw showed increase to 19.  Just wondering what helped you. Two years seems an eternity when my decapitated scan is showing bones becoming porous.  Thanks for all your good advice on this forum.

wildkat
on 12/16/14 10:37 am - Boise, ID

Sorry that was "dexa" scan!!!

Valerie G.
on 12/16/14 9:11 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My levels dropped to 12 and it took six months of 100,000 iu every day, then I still do 50,000iu every day.  You also want to make sure that your D pills are dry - meaning not encapsulated in oil, which is what most prescription D is.  You can get it without a prescription from vitalady.com, Amazon and even Walmart if you ask at the pharmacy.  The brand is Biotech.  If the pharmacist doesn't have it behind the counter, they can order it from the Walmart warehouse.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes