ds as revision, who's had it?

jinasinn1984
on 11/17/14 1:45 am - powell, TN

I am 4 yes out lost 100 lbs with sleeve in the last year I have gained 40, we discovered a bubble during my upper GI last week. Dr wants to either resleeve or do bypass, I'm still looking into the D's. Anyone already have sleeve had to be realeeved and added ds? Just weighing my options? 

Star0210
on 11/17/14 2:26 am
DS on 11/28/14

I'm scheduled 11/28 in Mexico with Dr Ungson to revise from VSG to DS. I had the VSG 4.5 yrs ago. I lost between 110-120 lbs and like you have put 40 back on. 

I never considered the RNY before and I've zero interest in that now. With the exception of those who have severe GERD, I can't understand why anybody would revise from VSG to RNY. Just the way my mind works I guess. 

Dr. Ungson will do a test to check on the size and shape of my sleeve and decide whether it needs to be tightened up or redone so I won't know until the day before my surgery about that. I do still have some restriction but not nearly as much as I had early out. Whether the amount of restriction I still have is too much or just right for being 4.5 yrs out I do not know. 

Did you get to goal with that 100 lb loss? 

wtrucker
on 11/17/14 3:18 am

I had a sleeve done in 2008 and just had my DS revision on the 12th of nov just 6 days ago and I got to say its been tough and had a lot of complications but I had a great doctor and he worked though them. im home now and doing better everyday . its hard for my to get the liquids down but I just keeping thinking you have to do this !!! you have to set down and think whats best for you , this was the best think for me. I have a lot of health problems and this will help with most ,if not all of them. so if u think its the right thing for then I say do it   

Star0210
on 11/17/14 3:50 am
DS on 11/28/14

Wtrucker...was your sleeve tightened or re sleeved? 

wtrucker
on 11/20/14 2:51 am

it was re sleeved the doctor told me it had to be done . he told me b4 surgery he wasn't going to but when he got in there it was so big that he had to  

Star0210
on 11/20/14 5:39 am
DS on 11/28/14

I'm sooo hoping mine needs to be redone! I'm scared I'm not going to be able to get enough weight off without getting that full restriction back like I had right after my VSG.

wtrucker
on 11/23/14 1:06 am

yeah I get it. I was scared too but my doctor thought it was the best thing for him to do ,so here's hoping yours feels the same way 

larra
on 11/17/14 5:12 am - bay area, CA

The most likely reason that your doc wants to revise to either gastric bypass or resleeve is that he doesn't do the DS, so he's offering/recommending only what he knows how to do. If that is what you want, fine, but if not there is no reason for you to limit yourself just because of his limits.

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. As you are already learning, weight regain is a major problem with other bariatric operations, including gastric bypass. Do you really want to go through that a second time?

Research ALL your options. There is a lot of good general info about the DS at dsfacts. We are seeing more people with sleeve or gastric bypass looking into revision all the time, and it is my personal belief (can't prove it!) that there would be even more if there were easier insurance coverage for revisions. At the very least, have a consultation with a surgeon who offers the DS before you make this big decision. A consult is a great way to learn and doesn't commit you to anything.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 11/17/14 5:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

OMG - do not ruin a perfectly good stomach with a revision to RNY.  You're on the right track considering DS as a revision, but you need to find a DS surgeon to complete it.  Docs have been crawling out of the woodwork now able to do the sleeve, but not nearly as many are skilled for the DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Star0210
on 11/17/14 8:31 am
DS on 11/28/14

OH needs a like button.