NO BM and I'm miserable

adstephens23
on 6/18/14 5:39 am - Norman Park, GA

I had my DS on 5/28/14. I had 1 BM 5 days out because of an enema. I then had another at 8 days out with no help and now have had no BM since. I am taking a stool softener at night, 4 Fiber Con tablets a day and was using liquid glycerin suppositories/enemas every couple of days. I am beyond miserable and dr said only to add the chewable fiber. I am still on the puree diet and admit that I am struggling getting all meds, liquids and protein in. Any advice??????

Thanks,

Amy

calendargirl
on 6/18/14 6:02 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Adding fat helps a lot.

I add about 1/2 cup of half and half to my protein shake or protein coffee every morning.  When I don't do it, I don't go.

Others have used coconut oil or even butter to make "bulletproof coffee."  (See http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/bulletproof-coffee)

But I could not tolerate coffee for the first 6 months, so adding it to protein shakes was the way to go at first.

Best wishes to you!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

PeteA
on 6/18/14 6:45 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I thin it is a little early to be adding fat but it may do the trick. I was very fat sensitive the first couple of months.

If I'm reading this right 7 days since your last BM?  Adding magnesium oxide helped when I started taking my calcium. That might help.
other than that I would just push liquids and try Miralax.

Worst part of my recovery was getting constipated early on. I hope your over this soon. Maybe someone else will have better ideas.

adstephens23
on 6/18/14 8:33 am - Norman Park, GA

No, I'm 13 days with no BM. The enemas  just make me want to sit there but no results. I just saw my dr last week for an infection in an incision and he told me then to add the Fiber Con. I feel nauseated all of the time. I stopped taking pain meds before I even left the hospital because I was nervous about the constipation. I now feel like when I drink water, it bubbles back up and I don't go back til 6/23. You think the Miralax along with what I am taking or exclude something. Thanks for the posts!!!

dustycroy
on 6/18/14 12:38 pm
DS on 05/14/13
MIRALAX! Just do it... Make sure your going to have access to a toilet... My husband got bound up for two weeks from taking pain meds and it took two doses In order for it to work. This might be the case for you, but it will work. You poor thing, I cant even imagine. You really cant imagine unless you have experienced constipation. I would clean myself out with the Miralax first and add a teaspoon or two of Benefiber to each protein drink there after. That should get keep you on track. The only reason the Fibercon isn't working is your just two far gone constipation wise for it to work. Use Fibercon, or the Benefiber daily afterwards and you should be fine.... GoodLuck! F.Y.I. they use Miralax to clean people out before a colonoscopy.....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

adstephens23
on 6/19/14 1:39 am - Norman Park, GA

Going to buy Miralax this morning!!! Thank you for responding. I am at the point where every bite I take bubbles back up. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Irishnurse
on 6/18/14 2:10 pm, edited 6/18/14 2:19 pm
DS on 04/17/13

When Nurses want someone with bad constipation to go we give them Magnesium Citrate. You can get it at Walmart or most drug stores. It is a clear liquid and you can drink half the bottle and see if it works. If it does not make you move drink the other half a few hours later. Usually half a bottle will make you **** your brains out. This is the stuff that the doctors prescribe when I have a very constipated patient. However, it is over the counter. Maybe that will help you.

Also, for your info...constipated more than four days can be dangerous. If you are not going to go to see a doctor about it or a hospital then try the Mag citrate. If the mag citrate does not work get yourself to a hospital before something serious happens. If you start to throw up brown stuff that smells like fecal matter then it is more than likely is fecal matter and that is a serious thing. If that happens hospital immediately. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Nancy T.
on 6/18/14 9:51 pm
DS on 07/16/13

I agree with Irishnurse, magnesium citrate has always unplugged me.  However be aware that it is carbonated.  I don't know if that helps it to clear your system - but carbonation this soon from your surgery may be a problem.  Maybe you could let it sit out for a couple of hours and, like soda, the carbonation goes away.  I have had to rely on it a couple of times and it always works for me.  I've started with half a bottle.  And another benefit, it is only about 98 cents for the bottle!  Hope everything comes out ok!

adstephens23
on 6/19/14 1:47 am - Norman Park, GA

Thank you. I have notified my surgeon  and he is the one that said add Fibercon and we will discuss at next appt the 23rd. I realize it can be dangerous because I know how bad I feel. I can't even eat or drink now because it bubbles back up in my throat. Thank you for responding.

Most Active