Red Alert

2ndChance2k13
on 11/26/13 3:11 am
DS on 07/08/13

I am 4 months post op and, I just received my first labs back and, the news is troubling.  I am down in several areas and need to get on the "good foot".   I admit that I haven't been as diligent as I needed to be about my vites but, I am putting on my big girl panties.  I ordered the Vitalady 30 day supply to get started and I need some additional advice.

I am struggling with getting my hectic life to mesh with the amount of protein that I need to ingest.  As I have explained before, I have had the problem of vomiting repeatedly.  I struggle with almost any protein that comes from a meat source that is not "wet".  So, I figured this would show in my labs and it did.  On top of that, I work 12 hour days almost daily and, I am a full time graduate student going to class until 10 p.m. two nites a week after work.

Please give me some ideas for on the go protein, things that I can pack and take with me.  What works for you?  What do you pack for the day?  What items do you use to give you a protein head start or catch up each day?

Also, how do you remember to eat and drink?  LOL  I work in a setting where I literally make life and death decisions.  Many times, I am so focused on helping others that it does not cross my mind to eat and drink or, when I do think about it, it is not accessible to me.  I need some strategies to cope with these obstacles.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Revision to DS from RNY on 7/8/13 - HW 493/SW 483/CW 383

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/26/13 3:47 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I'm almost 4 months post op and have a hectic life, too. Starting in January, I'll be going to school until 10pm at night after working a full day. So we'll be in the same boat.

What I do now that seems to work: I make sure to eat breakfast before leaving for the day. I also have an insulated lunch bag and pack some hard boiled eggs, a ready-to-drink protein drink, a chicken breast, and pumpkin seeds for the day. On the days I'll be going to school until 10pm, I plan on bringing an extra meal (probably another protein shake, or chicken breast or something else I can zap in the microwave) to eat right before class.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wet" meat. Have you tried putting some kind of sauce or reduced-sugar ketchup on your meat? Would that help at all?

Good luck -- it's important to figure this out ASAP. You can do it, but you'll need to make sure to plan things out ahead of time in order to make sure you have everything you need.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Lisey
on 11/26/13 5:52 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Egg salad or heavy mayo tuna salad.  Make it in a big enough batch to last you 3 days. 

If you have a little more time to cook on the weekend, you can put a chicken in the slow cooker on high for 2.5 - 3 hours.  Take out, let cool, put some water in a big soup pot along with the drippings from the turkey and throw in a bunch of frozen vegetables.  Shred/ cut chicken - this takes me about 30 minutes.  Put seasonings in to taste and let boil for a couple of hours, stirring once every 15 minutes or so on med heat (you want a slow boil with a non-stick soup pot).  Get a bunch of single-serving size tupperware dishes and freeze individually.  Take out as needed.  This makes me about 15 cups of soup.  High protein, high veggie = very nutritious, cheap, and yummy.  Tip:  for the drippings, put in the freezer for about 45 minutes to let the fat rise to the surface and congeal.  Then skim it off.  I know that we don't absorb a lot of fat and I typically don't care about it, but in my opinion, the soup tastes better with less fat.  I've made this dozens of times.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

dustycroy
on 11/26/13 7:52 am
DS on 05/14/13
I was really overwhelmed when I first started the vits and protein drinks. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out but now I just know that four times a day I take a batch of vitimans and a thirty gram protein drink together at the same time. That's how I have made it easy. I really rely on the protein drinks for protein because at six months out after a couple of bites of meat I gag. seafood doesn't make me gag like regular meat does so I like that. I rely on the drinks for my 120 grams of protein a day, and whatever I eat on top of that is extra. That's just the way it is going to be for me for now. The drinks can be expensive but on the other hand to me it seems easy now, I don't have to count protein grams and worry about it. Just my four times a day that is....lol Oh and a good source of protein for on the run is beef jerky, or peperoni stick, a lot of people do that, and of course cheese....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

rosegirlds
on 12/1/13 8:44 am - IL

Do you the vitaliady regimen?  Also, how were your labs when they came back originally?

Thanks.

dustycroy
on 12/2/13 2:31 am
DS on 05/14/13
Im embarrassed to say I haven't, "because of insurance reasons" gotten my first labs. Its a long story.....uhg. They have been ordered and I will be drawing them soon. To be honest Im not really worried because for the first five months I have done Vitalady, and was really good about taking my vits, also I feel really good. I got her pre packaged ones. Expensive but If you have been on here any length of time, you know its worth it. I still follow her dosage requirements, but I do buy some from lucky vitamin now. Of course all the dry are from her. I know the vitamin thing can be a little over whelming, so to do hers at first made me feel safe. She has helped so many people get back on the right track, after they have been givin wrong vitamin advise, or were just low with certain vitamins. She is so well regaurded in the bariatric community.... You cant go wrong when you use her..... Good Luck!

BReyes1961
on 12/2/13 1:33 pm
DS on 12/16/13

My surgery is in 2 weeks. So much information here. There are a lot of recommendations for different protein drinks/shakes, protein coffee, etc.  Not to mention the various suggested vitamins, where to get them etc.  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed but all the info.

What kind of protein drinks do you use? I like the idea of having 2 drinks to achieve my daily protein requirement. 

dustycroy
on 12/3/13 2:55 am
DS on 05/14/13
I mostly use GNC whey isolate, but I try others. when you shop at the store sometimes they vary their amounts of protein that they put into the container. Watch the carbs, and surger content. Example, sometimes they have 24, sometimes 28, sometimes 30. Its always a tossup. Of course get the one with the most grams of protein. Becareful they put the soy protein right next to the whey protein, and when your looking at all of the red lables they start to blend together after awhile. I know this seems over whelming, because I, to was overwhelmed at first, but let Vitalady figure it out for you, with her prepackaged vitamins, concentrate on reading lables, and buying protein. Then when you got that down, learn about the vitamins next. I am very A.D.D. so everything go's in one ear and out the next. I take one thing at a time, and learn so it isn't so overwhelming. It took me months of studying and using this very site, and I am still learning. You will see, that some advise is very repedative, "you hear it over and over", and every once in awhile there is something new to be learned. When vitalady sends you the vitamins, there is a piece of paper in there that tells you what each vitamin is and how many milligrams it is. That is my cheat sheet I use when buying my vitamins. After I have my labs drawn, I will probably be back on here with them, asking advise on where to tweek the amounts. Ive been on different sites, and I have to say that the people on here are so nice and supportive. They really will be here for you... No worries..... Your going to do GREAT! P.S the idea of having two drinks a day, and getting in the rest of your 120 grams of protein with food sounds wonderful, but In the beginning it wont probably be like that, and it might never be. Im not being negative just realistic. Everyones different in this area. The Dr.'s don't want you to have to depend on the drinks your entire life, but if you need them to get in the 120 grams then you need them. I don't know what I would do without them. Protein is still hard for me. It might never change. I don't know yet. Just be willing, and ready for that possibility....

BReyes1961
on 12/2/13 1:38 pm
DS on 12/16/13

My surgery is in 2 weeks. So much information here. There are a lot of recommendations for different protein drinks/shakes, protein coffee, etc.  Not to mention the various suggested vitamins, where to get them etc.  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed but all the info.

What kind of protein drinks do you use? I like the idea of having 2 drinks to achieve my daily protein requirement. 

PeteA
on 11/27/13 12:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I start the day with a double scoop protein shake (48 grams, Optimum nutrition with 8oz water. 

For quick fixes through the day I would try and find some protein bars but it might be too dry for you.
I can usually get one down with no liquid if I have to but better with some liquid. Some more quick fixes, as 
opposed to more of a meal like the tuna or egg salad already mentioned. Slim Jims, Just the Cheese type
crackers (5gm protein per pack).

Do you have a smart phone? You might set up daily reminders for liquids and protein through the day.
I've seen some people that really helped to get them on track. Maybe email reminders?

I'm sure you understand this mentally but keep in mind you don't do the people you are helping any good 
if you are not there due to health problems. Make a little time for yourself. LOL, easier to say then do.

Good luck. 

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.