DS "weight loss window"?

JazzyOne9254
on 11/18/13 2:31 pm, edited 11/18/13 2:38 pm

Please...older vets...school me if I'm wrong-

In some posts, I am seeing references to a "honeymoon period"  "weight loss window", etc.

According to my pre-op education, there is no such thing for DSer's.  There has been no such thing for me.

I have referenced my "DS Freight Train" quite a few times, and it truly is...I am eating more...and more "fattening" foods than I ever ate as a pre-op.  Have to... to try to maintain my weight.  I can literally "sleep off" ten pounds..and I'm not a toss and turn type. I take my vites every single day to maintain my health, because...I LOVE my "freight train"!  I do what I need to do because I do not want to hear the word "revision"!  

What is up with this?  Does anybody else have the same thing going on?  BTW- I will be 5 years out in February. 

Another important fact:  Prepping for LBL/thighplasty by January 30th (insurance deadline)...may happen before Christmas!  Consult with surgeon taking over retiring original surgeon's practice on 12/4.  Medically necessary. Approved on 11/4.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MajorMom
on 11/18/13 5:30 pm - VA

We were told an 18 month period is the honeymoon period when you can lose weight nearly effortlessly. After that is a window of about 5 years where that starts to decrease. Over 5 years and you'll have to "diet" to lose just like anyone else.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jaiart
on 11/18/13 6:57 pm - MI

I think the familiar refrain of "ymmv" truly applies.

PsAMom
on 11/18/13 10:57 pm

what does "ymmv" stand for, please?

shannn
on 11/19/13 12:20 am - Knoxville , TN

Your mileage may vary. (Everybody is different.)

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

kitkat24
on 11/19/13 3:09 am

:)  You are one of the lucky ones !  :)

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

airbender
on 11/19/13 6:50 am

it take the body about 18-24 months for intestinal adaptation, and by the 2nd year the sleeve has doubled in capacity...you are not the "ds norm"

PattyL
on 11/19/13 9:53 am

I think you are very fortunate.  I'm one of the unlucky few who only got 6 months.

jashley
on 11/19/13 10:30 am
DS on 12/19/12

I was told one year was the honeymoon period and to not mess around and focus on weight loss - and taking the vits - for the first year.  I was told it will never be this easy again, and to take advantage of fully.

On the other hand, our malabsorbtion still remains.  Not as strong, but it still remains so not all of our calories are counted.  Also, we can go back to shakes for 5 days and shrink down our sleeves again.

I really wish I had your DS.  I am more metabolically resistant now than I was before surgery.

Lyss Remaly
on 11/20/13 1:31 am - Wheeling, IL

I was also told that the first 18 months would be the "honeymoon period" which it was.  This was also the time where I was still eating not so great but the weight was FLYING off of me.  I am three years out and still losing weight and have yet to have any significan stall and NO weight gain at all.  I believe this is due to me changing my eating habits and really focusing on changing my lifestyle instead of thinking of it as "dieting" in the past 13 months that has kept me from gaining any and from stalling.  The fact that you can "sleep off" is AMAZING!!!!  SO JELLY!