DS diet and your family

hollykim
on 9/12/13 4:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I was pretty sure you were kidding...sort of,lol. I saw she was one year old. It is just good food for thought that we have been so mis led by the powers that be to think some foods are e il. In my opinion the evil foods are the man made pre packaged lb created foods that get us and keep us addicted to. Foods that are killing us. 

Ok off my  soap box now. :)

Angelique J.
on 9/12/13 7:59 am - Allentown, PA

I never mind the soap box and the honesty that comes with it :) p.s. I love bacon and one time I made microwave peanut-butter bacon brittle. I shall say no more.

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

jashley
on 9/12/13 2:21 am
DS on 12/19/12

Shannn has the right idea.  Teaching our children (and spouses) how to cook a meal from real food (nothing comes out of a box, nothing is processed) is the best legacy to leave our kids. 

Teaching them how to eat carbs based on what they need - not what they want as far as taste buds (sugar), and to eat lower carb meals than the average SAD meal is a good example and habit to get into.

If we teach our kids to eat meals with protein, fats, and veggies first, and teach them to eat fruit for snacks (today's fruits are carbs), and a small amount of complex carbs - we set them up for a healthy lifestyle for years to come.   And portion control will automatically come into play when we don't feed our kids all the chemicals and sugar that's in the processed foods.

Keep in mind that Atkins proves low carb eating goes hand in hand with high fat.  High fat intake is what makes us low-carbers feel full - that's our portion control kicking in.  Atkins states that the more carbs we add back to our diets, the less fat we should be eating (which tells me the carbs + fats are what is killing us). 

Angelique J.
on 9/12/13 8:02 am - Allentown, PA

Okay, I feel better now. I already eat pretty healthy - my biggest issue is definitely grazing and not in the good 4-5 meals per day way. That is something I work on in weekly counseling as well. I am glad to know that 85% beef works well for people and they just supplement with butter. *purr*

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Valerie G.
on 9/12/13 10:32 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm a grazer myself at 8 years out, and it works for me.  I prefer to get my protein with real food, so I eat a little something every couple of hours and can avoid protein drinks altogether most of the time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Irishnurse
on 9/12/13 3:02 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Do not forget that there are some vitamins that require fat in order to be absorbed into our bodies. This is another reason DSers eat high fat. 

There is nothing wrong with good fats in our foods. Natural butter, milk, meat fats. It is the bad saturated fats and carbs that cause us harm. We need the other fats for our bodies to absorb vitamins and yes...burn fat...

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Valerie G.
on 9/12/13 10:25 pm, edited 9/12/13 10:33 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

So, your husband is overweight, and eating all low fat.  It's obviously not solving his problems, so why not have him try the low carb approach instead?  (I truly believe that the low fat revolution created the fat people we have today-making up for all the fat by substituting carbs)

That being said, I raised my son through his teen years as a DSer.  His wrestling coach was preaching a similar diet to my own to them all.  He didn't say to stay gorge on fat, however meat and vegetables were the recommendation, and stepping away from bread, pasta, rice and sweets. That was EASY for us!   They would have those carb indulgences right before a match so they would burn it all quickly.  The daily meals in my home were meat and veggies, with the occasional treat of rice, potatoes, or pasta.  My family followed easily and weren't not damaged.  For extra fat, I always enjoyed some extra butter with my veggies, lots of gravy, etc.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes