HELP. I have no idea what surgery to choose. Please give me the details on DS.

justmarried67
on 9/8/13 11:21 pm
Thank you so much for the responses. My surgeon says my health plan will cover the DS, and since I live near SF I have a Dr. who specializes in doing it Lap right here.

I'm not banking on rushing back to work, I don't know how my body will take it. I know how my body responded to c-section but that is it. I just would like to know its a possibility.

I've been researching, googling, you tube and blog watching. I just haven't "met" or talked with many DSers, and personal experience is helpful for me. So thank you for sharing/continuing to share.
gak
on 9/9/13 12:39 am
Revision on 06/21/13

Good morning, I am just seeing this thread, lots of good advice up above. It's a blessing your insurance will pay for the DS ! No fighting for it is on the rare side these days.

You also live so close to Dr Rabkin, which is a blessing as well. I assume that is who you are referring to as close to you. He and his practice are wonderful. I wish I had gone to him for my first  WLS years ago. You see I first went to what we call a non-vetted DS surgeon and had post-op problems. Years later I had a revision that was unsuccessful. Then just a few months ago I had another revision, (yes that makes third time the charm) and I am doing well and losing slowly but steadily. A revision patient always lose slower. For this reason I recommend you pick a vetted doc and the DS.

Be prepared for vitamins for life and labs on a regular basis. Also it's wonderful to have firsts, like fitting in a booth at a restaurant, crossing your legs comfortably, single digit sizes and so much more !

There is a DS board here on OH, just look under the message boards link up above. There is also a place called proboards that has a lot of wonderful  DS'ers with years of experience on it. It is a wonderful place to hang out for information. There are a few facebook groups as well as yahoo groups too. Dr Rabkin has a yahoo group as well and his monthly meetings are the bomb. I wish I did not live across the country from them !

Do you have a family member who can help short term after surgery with the children ? Everyone recovers a bit different, so if you have ever had past surgery that might give you a good idea. But you are up and walking the same day of surgery. While you could not lift a child early out, or things like lift laundry, you can function slowly around the home with light weight items.

Keep researching, posting questions where you feel comfy and I personally highly recommend the DS, when done by a Dr who knows what they are doing !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 9/9/13 12:39 am, edited 9/9/13 12:42 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Besides my surgeon telling me his choices for most patients, 

1st choice: DS
2nd choice: DS
3rd choice: DS
Distant 4th choice: VSG

The statistics on regain and resolution of co-morbidities like hypertension and diabetes were very compelling.. I also didn't want to have "dumping syndrome" that happens to some RNYers. I love the fact that DSers have the most "normal" diet post-op.

I am very early out, but I am very happy with my choice. To me, it was a no-brainer.kiss

P.S. I went back to work after four weeks. My energy level was a little low, but I was fine.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

justmarried67
on 9/9/13 12:54 am
Yes it would be Dr. Rabkin in SF.
gak
on 9/9/13 2:09 am
Revision on 06/21/13

That is wonderful, Dr R and the group are wonderful. I noticed you talked about bathroom issues. I have to say with my first two surgeries I had tons of bathroom issues and horrid smells. Since the revision with Dr R, they are not as bad ! Even hubby has stated, it stinks less now, why is that ?  I feel it's because all the inside measurements are appropriate for each other and therefore work together well although still assisting in helping with weight loss. Now I could be off base, but it makes sense to me.

Good luck and keep reading !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

larra
on 9/9/13 2:24 am - bay area, CA

You are so very fortunate that you saw a surgeon who was honest with you, and pointed you towards the bariatric surgery that is best suited for your individual situation rather than just doing what would be easiest and (for the insurer) cheapest. The problem is that you had a certain mindset that you now need to alter. That isn't easy, but it's in your best interest.

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It works well for anyone who meets the standard medical criteria for wls, but is esp valuable for people with higher bmi's. What many people don't realize about RNY is that weight regain is a huge problem (as is failure to lose down to normal, esp, again, for heavier people). The failure rate I was quoted by the surgeon who would have done my RNY had I had one was 30%. Keeping in mind that all you need to accomplish to be a "success" is to lose just 50% of your excess weight, that's a very high failure rate. Many people lose and keep off just 50 - 60% of their excess weight, yet are counted as successes.

The DS also allows for a more normal lifestyle with eating. Of course there is a recovery period, as there would be for any surgery, but eventually we can eat small but otherwise normal meals. We can eat any form of protein, not just lean protein, because we don't have to worry about the fat content. We do have to watch carbs, but you would need to do this with RNY also, and along with being low carb you would also need to be low fat and low calorie...all this for life. You also can't take NSAIDs for the rest of your life with RNY, and while you are young now and this may not be an issue, all of us get older, and even many people who were never overweight develop arthritis and need NSAIDs. With the DS, we can take NSAIDs. That's a big deal.

As far as malabsorption goes, yes, that scares people, but malabsorption does not equal malnutrition. Nutritional problems can occur with either operation, though probably faster with the DS. But the key with both is compliance - if you take your supplements and eat plenty of protein, and get your labs checked to make sure levels are good, most people do just fine. With the DS we get the benefit of not absorbing a lot of calories we consume. With RNY there is minimal caloric malabsorption but you still get malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals. There is just no getting around that.

I think it would be very helpful for you to meet some people who live with the DS. Dr. Rabkin's practice has monthly support group meetings where you could do this. There is no committment involved in your going to these meetings. At the big meeting in SF, he also does an educational presentation for new people. I think you would find this very helpful. That meeting is the second Wednesday of each month from 6-8 pm, so I think it's this week. I strongly recommend that you go, bring along a support person if possible, and ask lots of questions, and talk with post-op patients.

So keep on doing your research, check out dsfacts.com, and hopefully you'll take advantage of this opportunity.

Larra

MsBatt
on 9/9/13 2:27 am

Honestly, I see fewer DSers with vitamin deficiencies than I do RNYers. I'm not certain why---maybe it's because most DSers take this **** seriously. (*grin*)

With either surgery, you'll need to supplement FOR LIFE, and get bloodwork done to make sure you're giving your body what it needs. This varies widely, because we're all individuals.

Same thing for bathroom issues. I see so many RNYers complaining about chronic constipation and room-clearing gas, and again, I think it's because DSers as a group are more educated about the root causes.

I'd discount a lot of what you're reading in the Jen Larson book. Sadly, she's not a very well-educated DSer, and a lot of her problems are of her own making. I don't think she meant for it to scare people, but there is some seriously scary stuff in there.

Hernias are often a side-effect of massive weight loss. Most MO people have fairly weak abdominal muscles, which when we were fat were propped up by our fat. When we lose that, hernias are common. Doesn't matter HOW you lose the weight, though.

I'll soon be ten years post-op, and I couldn't be happier.

cajungirl
on 9/9/13 2:48 am
I had RNY and it's worked for me. However, if I were choosing a WLS today I'm 99.9% sure I would choose the DS. Statistics show it to be the best at maintaining weight loss long term and you forever have malabsorption where after 18 mo to 2 years the malabsorption from RNY decreases tremendously and the amount initially isn't significant.

I still believe in RNY for some people however you should have the best success with the DS based on studies for long term success. You are young choose the surgery you know you can live with forever.

Good luck!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

justmarried67
on 9/9/13 3:00 am
I'm so grateful for you all sharing your journey and hope more will do so. I know I am blessed to even be making this choice based on what works for me.

I am going to attend Dr. Rankins support group, but this Wednesday I have back to school night the same night/time so
I have to wait till next month.
sarahjanejarm
on 9/9/13 4:44 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 10/08/13

I agree.. do your research to help you make an informed decision. This is why I chose to have the DS rather than RNY

1. I get to keep my pyloric valve

2. I get to have a better chance at getting to goal weight and sustaining the weight loss

3. See number 1!! Helps you avoid the dumping syndrome

4. I don't have to count calories as we only absorb a portion of what we eat

5. More normal life.

SarahJane Watrous, LMSW