Isopure and Bubble Gut...

Calliope36
on 5/20/13 1:28 am - GA

Hello All,

I am about two weeks out from surgery! Everyday is an adjustment... good thing is since I am on medical leave I got to watch the past two seasons of Game of Thrones (I am hooked).  

Upon research I figured I would try Isopure as my protein, and found very very good.  I tried the Apple Melon, and the next morning I had bubble gut and the runs like never before.  I know that "loose stools" are to be excpected for us, but Im almost positive it was the Isopure that added a little extra kick.  Have you had this experience as well?

Huneypie
on 5/20/13 2:08 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I got gas from protein shakes and reduced to one scoop which seems to be OK.  Did you add milk or water?  Milk could give you issues too - try jus****er and see how that goes (or some use almond milk).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Calliope36
on 5/20/13 3:47 am - GA

Isopure is a fruity type drink, pre-mixed... almost like drinking crystal light but with protein... 40 grams per bottle.  I usualy mix my powder with lactaid milk, and it is ok.  I just need a protein that is more portable than milk based.  I am going to exchange the apple for another flavor to see if that is the culprit.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/20/13 4:53 am

isopure is supposed to be WPI, but I'll bet there's a blend in those drinks!  I haven't tried them yet, but I like Syntrax Nectars, and they have a ton of "non-milk"- type flavors!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

JazzyOne9254
on 5/20/13 4:50 am

Try lactose-free milk.  Walmart has a store brand (Great Value) that is considerably less costly than Lactaid.  That's what I used early out, also stuck with whey protein isolate.  The lactose is processed out of  WPI.

Now, at 4 years and 3 months out,  I just use straight whole milk with heavy cream added.  No rumbling, no farting of any kind! 

Not yet on a probiotic, but plan to do so next month, as it was recommended at my surgeon visit last week.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

woodkd
on 5/20/13 5:27 am
DS on 06/19/13

By the way congrats on losing 18.2 pounds in 2 weeks, that's awesome!!!!!

PeteA
on 5/20/13 5:36 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It could be a lot of different things. For what it is worth here is my experience. YMMV.

I wonder if it isn't too soon for the pre mixed protein. I tried pre mixed Premium Protein about the end of my first week and I was miserable and throwing up. I thought at the time that it was a combination of drinking too fast and too much protein all at once (while healing).

I moved to a powder that I mix with water and haven't had the nerve to try the pre mix again. It has a little less protein (24 vs the 40 or so for the pre mix). The pre mix seemed "heavy" going down like a thick milk shake. It tasted good but the reaction was not.

Now that my stomach is used to more types and quantities of food I will eventually try again. Just not soon, I have this connection in my head with the pre mix and a quick trip to the bathroom.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

jashley
on 5/20/13 7:48 am
DS on 12/19/12

Hey Pete,

I had the same sensation with those Premium Protein pre-mixed shakes.  They taste ok, and they are highly portable (grab and run).  But I noticed that there is a thickening agent of some sort in those things.  If I drink one, and go to bed, that dang shake will creep back up my throat and I start choking on it.  It happened every time I drank one within 2 hours of bed time.

I also bought/tried a tub of Bariatric Support Basic Essentials (made by Twinlab).  It's a protein powder, and it has a bunch of vitamins in it also.  When I mix it with water, it turns into a thick slurry.  I'm sure the thought was to fill you up, so you are not hungry after 1 scoop.  But that slurry feels like it's expanding (still) in my gut.  I always get a strange feeling... almost like one bite too many... like it's going to come back up feeling.

So I've learned to drink those things very slowly, or wait 30 minutes after opening/mixing for full expansion.  That Bariatric stuff thickens so much, I could cement bricks with it.

jashley
on 5/20/13 7:34 am
DS on 12/19/12

I've used Iso Pure protein powders.  You must be using the clear drinks in the bottles? 

I would look and see how many carbs are in one of those drinks, and what sugar substitute they use (if any).  Those two items 1) sugar, or 2) sweetners, will be the culprit. 

I'm pretty sure those things have no milk product in them like the protein powders do, but I would look for milk/lactose content anyway.

Sometimes protein products just don't agree with us and we have to try others.  I'm sure there will be a protein drink out there that you will like and agrees with your system.

Corbin Y.
on 5/20/13 8:59 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

After I had surgery 6 weeks ago, I found that I am now sensitive to artificial sweeteners, as well as lactose and nuts, which were both intolerances I had previously.  My NUT told me that many of us after a DS become more sensitive to artificial sweeteners in the protein shake mixes, such as sorbitol, sucralose, stevia, or nutrasweet.  I now use the J Robb unsweetened egg powder with a teaspoon of agave nectar when I make a shake.   I have learned to add unsweetened cocoa powder to give it that chocolate taste, a bit of fruit for flavor, or add cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to get a nice egg nog flavor.  Sensitivity to artificial sweeteners does not affect all of us, but it sure got me - the bubble gut, explosive runs like you described, even a liquid iron I was taking that had artificial sweeteners affected me.  I hope to get less sensitive in time, but there are no guarantees.  Try to see what happens if you get rid of all artificial sweeteners for a week.  Good luck!