Carbonation okay at 2+ years out?

hoping4arealchange
on 3/9/13 12:01 am - Portland, OR

Dr. Keshishian recently told me I should not have carbonated beverages (it was in an email so we didn't really have a conversation about it).  Does anyone know why, at 2+ years out we should not have carbonation?

I know for myself I should avoid diet coke because I have lost some bone density in the last two years . . . but am interested in understanding other reasons as well.

Thanks,

docputer
on 3/9/13 12:45 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

Some Dr's and Nutritionists believe that carbonated beverages can be appetite enhancers. Early on, carbonation can cause issues with sutures. My surgeon told me carbonated beverages were okay at 6 weeks, but obviously others have different opinions.

MsBatt
on 3/9/13 12:57 am

Ask Dr. K why he says that. My surgeon didn't, but that was 9 years ago. I know that even at 9 years out, sometimes carbonation is uncomfortable---but I have it when I really want it. (*grin*)

PattyL
on 3/9/13 3:20 am

Everyone has their beliefs and preferences.  Ask.  He has to have some kind of logical reason for his statement.

Let's say one loves to drink Perrier.  Well, no artificial sweeteners, no calories, no phosphoric acid, no caffeine.  And it might give you a smidge in the mineral department.  I can't think of any reason at all to avoid fizzy water other than the cost.  All those other things I mention probably should be avoided in a perfect world but none of us live there!

Buchwald was much easier.  He said don't drink anything with calories/sugar.

In real life we all get to make our own choices.  None of us is going to live forever and diet soda is one of the small things I'm not going to worry about.

beemerbeeper
on 3/9/13 7:02 am - AL

I avoid dark diet sodas but drink diet orange.  I don't think there is a thing in the world wrong with carbonation.  I have had it since the day I got out of the hospital.

I drink a TON of water so there really isn't room for carbonaiton, but if I want it I have it.

~Becky

M. Walker
on 3/9/13 10:58 pm
DS on 02/12/13
Why not dark? Also, I thought we shouldn't drink soda because of the carbonation stretches the pouch. I loved my diet caffeine free Pepsi before surgery and have not had one since Dec 2010. That was the worst withdrawal I have ever had, but now OK. Crave sometimes, then it goes away. Curious about dark soda though?

southernlady5464
on 3/10/13 12:24 am

Okay, first...we have a sleeve not a pouch. Pouches are the RNY!

As to dark sodas..

There is evidence to suggest that drinking dark-colored diet cola (and dark-colored regular cola) can increase your risk of kidney disease.

Based on a report published in the journal Epidemiology, drinking two or more dark-colored sodas -- such as Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and similar generic brands -- per day doubles your chances of kidney disease.

The phosphoric acid found in dark colas, but not in clear sodas such as Sprite and 7-Up, is what gives it its unique taste, but also what may lead to the development of kidney stones. This, in turn, can potentially lead to complications and disease.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

M. Walker
on 3/10/13 12:32 am
DS on 02/12/13
That is weird. Have never used the word pouch. I have had my sleeve for over two years. I had just read an article comparing the DS to other surgeries and maybe just had a moment.

Interesting stuff on the dark sodas. Thanks for the into.

MsBatt
on 3/10/13 3:30 am

Then I should have no kidneys at all. (*grin*)

Per-op, I drank 2-3 LITERS of Coke Classic a day. Now I drink about a gallon if iced tea a day, sweetened with Splenda.

MsBatt
on 3/10/13 3:31 am

I have never heard of Scot as a DS surgeon. Have you asked him how many DSes he's done?