Vitamin Deficiency Ha****

DivaJojo
on 2/16/13 10:33 pm - Atlanta, GA
Morning all; Embarrassment is a bitter piller to swallow so I am jumping in. I think I am dealing with serious vitamin deficiency, specifically D, B12, Zinc and calcium. Was doing great on my vites, but have had so much going on in life, I let it slide bad. Skip to current, walking along two weeks ago and odd painful discomfort started in right leg and back. Originally told sciatica, began treatment. Three days later woke up in mind numbing pain, cant straighten right leg at hip joint. Ambulance to er, lortab, morphine . . . Sciatica . . . Sent home with vicodin. Upped to percocet. . . . Between er, pcp, chiro, ortho all say sciatica, but I know its not. Pain in top right hip, thigh with constant muscle cramps that started last week, constant pain at inner hip when lifting leg, constant cramping, did I say that already . . . And numbness along inner back thigh to knee, whole knee and portion of inner back call. Whyy did it take me this long to consider deficincy? Scheduling to have labs done tomorrow, but started upping vites Friday. Currently taking Sublingual b12 3 times per day Dry d3 50000 iu, 3 times daily on empty stomach. Extra zinc 100mg I think (50 each). This is in addition to my regular full vites. I thought this would be a good place to start, till I get my labs bavk and meet with doc by friday, but I will be honest, between fear, pain, cramping, work, exhaustion due to all of the above, plus meds, not sure how clear my head is. I have an mri scheduled for tom mrning, cus u think something is pulled or disjointed in the hip, though dislocation has been ruled out. At yhe moment, iill be happy to get relief from the constant muscle cramps and whatevers happening with the nerve which I think is causing tge concentrated numbness. Yes, the thought if possible permanent damage is in the back of my mind, but im trying to be positive. I would appreciate any feedback youre willing to give abiut my current game plan, expected improvement progression and bad signs to watch for, even suggestions for what doc I should be seeing. The front question in my mind now is with upping my vites, how soon should I see some improvement in the cramping, numbing and tingling? My heartfelt thanks to you all.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

MajorMom
on 2/16/13 10:38 pm - VA

I'm glad you're getting to the bottom of this. Make sure they check all your B vitamins. Any one of them can cause nerve issues. Also look for low labs on potassium and magnesium for the muscle cramps. Keep us posted. (((hugs)))

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

DivaJojo
on 2/17/13 3:57 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am getting all labs done (vitalady's list) to start. They did my potassium in the ER and it was 3.4, so I had already upped that to twice a day instead of once. Ill share all my labs when they come in.

DivaJojo
on 2/16/13 10:39 pm - Atlanta, GA
I typed this from my phone, dorry, it sounds cold to read, but wanted to get it all out and not ramble. Truth is im terrified, hurting, exhausted, embarrassed, adhamed I allowed it to happen and terrified. I truly appreciate anything you can advise.

MajorMom
on 2/16/13 10:58 pm - VA

I think your plan is good. Let's see those labs when they come back. Hang tough, Jo.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

thinlizzie12
on 2/17/13 12:01 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I am a retired chiro and when you explained your symptoms I was thinking that yes....sciatica..BUT when you state at the inner hip...is it in the front? Anyways, as you up your vits also try doing some sciatica stretches....even though you do not believe it is (I have had pts with mind numbing sciatic pain.....horrible to see their pain)...lay down on your bed or floor.....better on floor but make your you have someone home to help you back up....take a towel and wrap it around the knee that is bothering you, pull it up and try to straighten your leg....if this is unbearable have someone else lift the leg for you...go as far as you can.....how about your K+ intake? 

Thing is I do not know what they are trying to prove with an MRI.....I would send out for a CT scan of the lumbosacral area......MRI is just a waste of money.....just being honest. I practiced for 8 years.....I would send out for a CT...anyways, get to feeling better....and remember to take your vits and even when the pain is gone...stretch!!!!)

DivaJojo
on 2/17/13 4:19 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is in the front inside right at what I have been calling the "pelvic crease," until I learned that the front is also considered the hip. I have been doing the sciatic stretches lightly as best I can. Cannot lie on my stomach with that right leg straight yet, ut hurts and pulls to much right at the hip. Cannot lie the leg straight down when flat on my back for same reason. Have just now gotten to where I can rest it about two pillows high hoping thqtll be good enough for the mri. My chiro advised mri, said it would dhow inflammation and other things with the ligaments, tendons, etc. tat xray wouldnt show. And today when I got home, I took a step on that leg after grabbing a book off the seat and this searing pain went yhrough right in the front like something popped forward out of place and my leg wouldnt hold my weight. Its like what I feel in the same spot when I try to straighten my back completely while the leg is properly straight . . . Only magnified a hundred fold. I put an ice pak to my crotch and have been taking it easy this afternoon, dont want to ake any stupid moves. The immediate area is very tender, but the pain has been receding. Still numb, but as I sit here and think about it, the cramping has not been as bad since I got home from church. My chiro has been focusing in spine adjustment in a sitting position from neck to lower back since I cannot lie flat yet. I will say, my lower back just to the right of spine has been sore since that wrong move a couple hours ago. Sitting on the tennis ball was recommended, but I am not sure where the tennis ball is supposed to be. Tried it this morning, but honestly dont know. There is one area in the back of my thigh just before the but that feels very tender when I sit with correct posture, painfully so and if I move a certain way, it sends a strong pain right to the most numb area which is the inside front corner of my right knee. There are so many sensations that between direct pain, referred pain, etc, you dont know what youre really feeling.

A. C
on 2/17/13 1:56 am

Get all the tests you need!  Don't give up!  You are doing the right thing!  You will get the answers!  I understand being scared.  You are going to be ok!

teachmid
on 2/17/13 2:30 am - OKC, OK
Hope you get some relief soon.

More then 25 years ago I ended up with a ruptured disc and lived on a couch in my living room for 3 months. It was a real nightmare. For years afterwards I had severe phantom leg cramps in that leg. I got relief with extra magnesium.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

DivaJojo
on 2/17/13 4:22 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks. I take the mag cit with my cwlcium to aide absorption, what type for crams, same or oxide?

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 60 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 60 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1471 views