One month out and I still feel awful

kellydd
on 2/5/13 1:52 am - MI

I am almost one month out. I still feel weak and nauseated most every day. I was supposed to return to teaching two weeks ago, but have had to take extra time off because of the nausea and diarrhea. I can't leave a classroom full of high school seniors to run down to the bathroom to sit for 30 min. Geesh- I don't think I could even make it to the bathroom if I ran. I got pretty dehydrated and yesterday was sent to an "infusion center" to have IV fluids and anti- nausea meds. It did stop my dry heaving and I got some B vitamins in too. I feel better today. We are thinking diary is the culprit with the diarrhea-- but I don't understand why I still feel like crap 1 month out? It is really wearing me down emotionally too. It is hard to feel like this all the time. I keep waiting to turn that corner and wake up and feel well. I had a plan-- I was going to be super compliant-- get on Vitalady vites, exercise, get all my protein in...now I'm just trying to get in enough fluids, I sit around belching all day feeling yucky, not getting in much protein, not getting down my basic vites or fluids--Not what I had in mind. I think this has gone on long enough. Do some people just have a tougher recovery than others? Did I expect too much, too soon??

Kelly

DS with Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, MI  Jan. 8, 2013

b1751
on 2/5/13 2:37 am

I really felt like crap until just a little after 4 weeks out.  I had to get IV fluids at a month out too and had to get a CT because I had horrible pain on my side.  I was also dry heaving 24/7 despite zofran and phenergan which was causing the pain on my side!  I was also pretty emotionally exhausted from the surgery, lack of food, hormones, etc.  

I kept calling the office and talking to the nurses and having Dr. Kemmeter try different things.  Finally (at my request) they said to up my Prilosec to 20mg twice a day instead of once.  That helped SO much.  It stopped my nausea and I finally was able to eat and drink normally, which then helped everything else.

I never had loose stools, but if you are drinking milk that could very well be why.  I would eliminate the lactose, and keep in contact with the nurses there. There are lots of medications that can help.  I think going back to work after 2 weeks is unreasonable for most people.  It took me until about 6 weeks out before I actually felt "normal".

Lap DS with Dr. Kemmeter 12/17/12

HW: 274.5 -- SW: 266 -- GW: 130?

shannn
on 2/5/13 2:57 am - Knoxville , TN

I'd say that you still feel bad for a couple of reasons:

1) normal fatigue, 2 weeks is an unrealistic time frame for returning to work, a month is much more plausible and I've seen a lot of people say 6 weeks

2) lactose, I never had trouble with diary but a lot of people do. Get rid of the milk.

3) dehydration, liquids are your job right now. Drink, drink, drink. My husband divided my fluids into small 8 oz water bottles for me labeled with the time that I had to be finished by: 8AM, 10AM, 12, etc.... In each one of them he put something different: Crystal light or G2. That was really helpful for me.

I wouldn't worry about protein right now. I had some liquid protonix that I could throw back like a shot and I downed in some in the first weeks, but mostly I just concerned myself with hydration.

Good luck...I promise you that it DOES get better!!!

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

2renee
on 2/5/13 4:48 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

I had a very uneventful recovery and I was off for 8 weeks - then went back part time for a month.  I was still coming home and taking a nap on most days.  My energy level is coming back up slowly.    I am also on 20mg of prolisec twice a day and without it, I feel nauseated and my stomach actually hurts (aches).    Hang in there.  It will get better.

kellydd
on 2/5/13 4:57 am - MI

Thanks for the replies. I feel much better knowing that it isn't just something really wrong with me. My stomach aches too-- I did ask the nurse if I should maybe increase my Prilosec, but she said no, it was fine. Perhaps I will pursue that. Thy did call in some more Zofran and some Levesin (sublingual). I will work on my vites and liquids. Thanks so much everyone. I felt like a wimp for needing more than two weeks off of work. I feel a bit validated now.  You guys are awesome.

Kelly

Herman
on 2/5/13 9:09 am

Kelly, I tell you what, if that nurse told me I could not increase the prilosec...I'd do it anyway. You do not have to have permission from her or anyone else to make a educated decision on your own health and wellbeing. When you take the prilosec also make sure you take it about 20-30 min before you eat or drink anything else, so it can start working for you.

Good Luck, you've made a great start. 

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
beemerbeeper
on 2/5/13 5:44 am - AL

Some of us have a harder time than others and it is frustrating.  Dehdration is serious and you did the right thing.  I had to do it also at the three week period.  I don't remember when I started feeling better but it might have been around week 4.  Don't worry about anything except hydration and getting a little protein in.  Like one ounce of something.  Baby steps.  You WILL get through this and you will say it was worth it.

~Becky

Michelle H.
on 2/5/13 6:34 am
DS on 01/16/13

I am three weeks out and I could have almost copied your post as my own.  Praying for you, me, and everyone else having a rough time...

Valerie G.
on 2/5/13 7:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

2 weeks back to work?  I have to say that was extremely over-ambitious!

If you're drinking milk - then that could very well be the source of the diarrhea.  I'm fine with most dairy, but straight milk and  anything made with straight milk and not cooked make me gassy and runny for sure.  There are many that are like me, too.  Some are very sensitive to whey protein, too.  It's okay to take immodium, too. Loose stools are very normal, but you should be in more control by now that you're not running to the toilet for fear of crapping your pants.  

The fatigue is still normal this far out, however yours is even more enhanced due to the dehydration.  I started to see a turn around 5-6 weeks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kellydd
on 2/5/13 8:41 am - MI

Thanks Valerie. 2 weeks is what Dr. Kemmeter told me since it was lap and not open. At my 2 week visit I told him I thought that was crazy. I wasn't drinking any milk-- just eating some cottage cheese and yogurt.  I will check into the whey protein as well. Thanks for the feedback!