It's been 5 years!

Yvonne B.
on 1/7/13 3:05 am - Oshawa, Canada

Although I check the forums on OH once in a while, I haven't posted in ages. So, where I am now with my weight loss adventure? I am currently 154 but trying to drop about 10 lbs (I was 283 lbs five years ago). My surgeon wants to see me between 140 - 150 lbs. My life has changed dramatically. I'm more active, smile more, am more social and have made many new friends.

About two years ago, my weight was up to 170 - not good. I tolerate most foods now and had slipped back into some bad habits. I got back down to about 158 - 160 and that's where my body stayed for a while. The lightest I went after my DS was 127 which was far too light for me. I'm trying to get to 140 - 145 and have recently started a wheat-free diet which seems to be helping, not just with the weight-loss but overall wellbeing. Wheat Belly is a good read for anyone that has a gluten allergy or just wants to learn more about how wheat products affect our health.

And, for the first time in about 25 years, I started turning heads. : ) Attention from men was something I was uncomfortable with at first and still feel awkward about sometimes. I have heard from several other WLS people that some women just go nuts with the dating scene when they reach goal. Well, if anything, it has helped to increase my self-confidence, and it's feels good to have someone special in my life again.

Three years ago, I took up competitive fishing! It's a great sport which very few women are involved in. I also do seminars on teaching the basics of fishing to women and children to encourage them to get outdoors and enjoy this awesome family activity. You can look me up on www.nationalprostaff.com to see the various tournaments, trips and events I've been involved with. I would have never imagined myself doing these things when I was obese.

I've posted some new pics and I think I'm smiling in all of them. And yes, I know there's a lot of me with fish : ) Cheers!

PattyL
on 1/7/13 5:00 am

Great pictures!  Loved the fish but I never catch anything like that.  Except maybe those two tiny ones!  What an interesting thing to do, competitive fishing!

MajorMom
on 1/7/13 7:11 am - VA

Happy surgiversary!!! I love your pictures!  : )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 1/7/13 8:45 am

Congrats on your 5 year surgiversary!  I'm right behind you in April.  Enjoying life is a wonderful part of this surgery.  Have fun fishing & teaching.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

ktbugw82
on 1/7/13 11:56 am

Thanks for the post. I'm scared to death going into my surgery and wondering if its what i should be doing...I needed to see your post tonight. 

KTBUGW82

Doing this for me...for my Family...for my future

Yvonne B.
on 1/8/13 4:57 am - Oshawa, Canada

Perfectly natural for you to feel the way you do. And, afterwards, you may still question why you had the surgery, especially when you have a road bump. Just try and think about what your health would be like if you didn't have the surgery.

Yvonne B.
on 1/8/13 5:13 am - Oshawa, Canada

Here's something I shared with another group:

A few months before I asked my family doctor about WLS, I almost fell out of a ride at Canada's Wonderland. Because of my size, the restraints didn't close around me as they would have with a smaller person. I have no doubt the 40 ft fall would have killed me but I hung on, for my life, literally. Obesity not only affects your quality of life but it shortens it as well. Regardless of the complications I experienced, especially during the first two years, I would still get the surgery.

puppysweets1
on 1/7/13 3:26 pm - CA

Great post, great report, great pictures. 

Huneypie
on 1/7/13 6:58 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Gorgeous - although I'm not sure where you're hiding those 10lbs... maybe in your toes??

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Yvonne B.
on 1/8/13 4:55 am - Oshawa, Canada

It's right around the waist. Slight love handles :)

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 64 views