Quick questions from a DS newbie -- NSAIDS and (current) opinions on Garth Davis

Nicole E.
on 10/26/12 8:06 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

First, a quick intro. I'm Nicole--age 24.  As you can see from my ticker, I'm currently in the high 350s and I want to get down to 180 or under. No co-morbidities (yet), but a heaaaaavy family history of diabetes (nearly every family member has it), high blood pressure (every member over 30 has it), heat disease, stroke, etc. etc. 80% of my family members die of diabetes-related complications or stroke. It's pretty bad and I don't want that to happen to me.

I'm a bit of a newbie to the idea of a duodenal switch. I was scheduled to have a RnY in June of 2009, but was denied and the surgeon's office didn't want to appeal. (long story) I have insurance again and want to weigh ALL my options since I can choose which surgery I want now. (The insuance I had before only covered the RnY). The DS is looking the most promising to me at the moment for many reasons (better weight loss stats, abolishments of co-morbidities, etc.)

But I've heard many conflicting things when it comes to taking NSAIDS. Some places say that DSers can take them--some say that they can't. I currently Aleve to relieve the pain I have from chronic sinus and ear infections. I've tried some of the other options on the market and they don't work as well or as quickly as Aleve. So the question I'm asking is--could I still take NSAIDS with the DS? I'd gladly stop taking them if needed because I'd rather have sinus pain than type 2 diabetes.

My other question deals with the forum's opinion of Garth Davis in Houston. I've lurked a bit on this form and have read some...interesting opinions about him and the DS (to say the least, haha), but those were from a couple of years back. I've read that he performs them semi-regularly now and want to know your current opinions. I'm scheduled for a consult with him in early December and want to be ready.

MajorMom
on 10/26/12 8:30 pm - VA

Welcome!  A DSr can take NSAIDS but must not abuse them. 

I've only heard/read things posted by his patients and opinions about what has been posted. I've read he's on a low protein kick for himself and trying to impose it on his WLS patients even if they have malabsorptive surgeries such as RNY or DS--not good at all. He is no nutritional genus although he will try to come across as one. His dieticians have extremely limited information about follow up care for a DSr. You'd probably be better off reading about vitamins and nutrition here, or on the several DS groups on Facebook and Proboards. If you haven't already, you might look at Dr Stewart rather than Davis in TX. I believe you'll find his contact info on http://www.dsfacts.com .

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Nicole E.
on 10/26/12 8:55 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

Thank you for the quick response! I really do appreciate it.

Ah, I figured as such. Looks like I need to start weaning myself off of Aleve, then. The trade-off is worth it at the end.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Stewart, but it isn't financially possible for me to make it up to North Texas at the moment. (Starving college student here, haha). I would definitely check him out if I could afford to. Dr. Wilson in Houston is on the list as well, but his clinic doesn't accept my insurance. :( Bummer.

I'll keep your advice about Davis and his clinic in mind. The main thing I remember about my previous surgeon (Dr. Daniel Gagne in Pittsburgh) was that he preached the gospel of eating tons of protein and getting that in first. I'll have to question Davis more about his personal views and his history with the DS at the consult. Thanks again for the info!

MsBatt
on 10/26/12 11:23 pm

I've had severe arthritis since age twenty. At 45, when I was researching WLS, I knew that I would always NEED NSAIDs, and they're a part of the reason I chose the DS.

After surgery, I was only allowed to take one Aleve per day, for the first month. Then I was cleared to take them 'as needed'. Therefore, I've take Aleve 2-3 times a day since my DS, nearly 9 years ago.

I've always had a cast-iron stomach, but about a year before my DS I started having some really bad reflux. Since my DS? Not a bit. However, I wouldn't advise anyone who's had trouble with ulcers to take NSAIDs on a regular basis, but if you tolerate them well now, there's no reason to believe you won't post-op as well.

Huneypie
on 10/27/12 1:57 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I read Dr Davis's 2008 book "The Expert's Guide to Weight-Loss Surgery: Is it right for me? What happens during surgery? How do I keep the weight off?" and nowhere does he mention the DS.

If money's an issue I'd head to Mexico and opt for Dr Ungson and Dr Aceves, if you can get them both together then it'll be in Mexicali which isn't far south of the border. I think it's ~$16K, but you'd have to double check.

Alternatively if you're happy to head to Europe then you can get Dr Toon Sonneville for ~$13.5K via World Med Assist, you'd obviously have to factor in travel costs. Bugirl had Dr Sonneville so you could correspond with her about him.

The only reason I'm not recommending my surgeon is that he only does 2 part DSs and one step is cheaper and more effective (I'd planned on the sleeve being enough, but it didn't work out that way).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

SharonG
on 10/26/12 10:21 pm - Arlington, VA

Welcome, Nicole!

Like Gina said, most DS'ers can take NSAIDS for a limited time.  Some of us can't.  I have had years of issues with GERD and peptic ulcer disease, but I had that even before the DS. The DS actually helped improve the symptoms (less stomach to produce acid), but the GERD is still there and never went away.  As a result, I stay away from NSAIDS, but so far have been able to manage joint pain with topical ointments, stretching, heat and/or ice.  Headaches, etc. have been managed by other medications like Tylenol.  YMMV. 

Sharon

larra
on 10/27/12 1:01 am - bay area, CA

Most DS'ers can safely take NSAIDs provided we are careful about never exceeding the recommended doses. Some surgeons will say that we shouldn't, but then again, many surgeons provide RNY oriented advice to everyone. Most surgeons who specialize in the DS will say NSAIDs are ok for us, and in fact, when we work with people who need to appeal insurance limitations on the DS, we often use the need for NSAIDs as a medical reason to have the DS rather than RNY.

With RNY, NSAIDs are definitely contraindicated for the rest of your life. With DS, I would say use them cautiously, only as needed, NEVER beyond the recommended dose, and for as short a course as possible. And take them with food and be on an acid reducing medication like prilosec.

I have no current info about Dr. Davis. You will need to ask him about his present level of DS experience, which he should be willing to tell you. I wouldn't bother getting into the protein issue with him. You already know that regardless of what he chooses to do for himself, YOU will need lots of protein.

Larra

A. C
on 10/27/12 1:50 am

I am a newbie, I really feel like the vets have the most wisdom.  What I do know is this, Each one of us is so different, think about our DNA, we are all different.  It's hard to say "How you will react to NSAIDS" because of the physiology of our bodies.  

JazzyOne9254
on 10/27/12 2:06 am

I don't know anything about Garth Davis, as I live in the Midwest, and was blessed to have a DS surgeon right in my own state!

With regard to NSAIDS, DSers *can* take them, because we still have functioning stomachs, that produce stomach acid, and can dissolve the medication. However, when I had my surgery 3 1/2 years ago, I was told to wait at least 6 weeks before taking any NSAIDS. or aspirin products. Bottom line:  you will be able to take NSAIDS with the DS, just not right away.  Your surgeon will give you pain medication that will be compatible with your DS until then.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

puppysweets1
on 10/27/12 3:34 am - CA

You will have a normal stomach just like everyone else on the planet, just a smaller one.  You should be able to use NSAIDS including your Aleve with no more chance of a problem than the rest of the population.  Some people with normal stomachs can't take NSAIDS. Some people with who've had a DS can't take NSAIDS.  Don't think it is usually the DS that determines if you will be ok with NASIDS or not.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 60 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 60 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1471 views