Had my consultation today. SO CONFUSED

preachermomma37
on 8/23/12 12:57 pm - TN
I have to say the DS is saving my life. AS said before it is the surgery with the best statistics. Another thing is that with the DS you keep your pyloric valve (the sphrincter at the bottom of your stomach) so you have a pressue system so to say. Whereas with the gastric bypass they remove the pyloric valve and everything just slides through. I would agree most nutritionist and doctors have little to know understanding of our nutritional and supplimental needs after surgery. I find it frustrating, but thanks to this site and another I have all the resources I need. You must fully understand you will FOREVER have to take many vitamin and mineral suppliments due to the malabsorption. My surgeon is Dr. Hugh Houston here in Nashville. I had surgery May 15, 2012 and have lost 77 pounds of the 183 pounds I need to lose.
PattyL
on 8/23/12 1:07 pm
 You are lucky you went to a doc who would actually recommend the DS.  Read and learn.  It has the best stats on weight lost and the least regain.  People do have the bypass part of the DS to cure diabetes and it works.  The DS has many advantages over what else is out there.
Sandra C.
on 8/24/12 8:42 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 My D.S. experience all this first year has been positive. My surgery was laparoscopic, with much less recovery time and less pain than an open procedure.  My pain level was very low, with 2 tiny  lap cuts out of 6 hurting for a few weeks. My surgeons team has been super supportive with nutrition, exercises, mental redirection with successful ideas to keep on track with good food choices, and positive attitude, also surgical recovery. A few things won me over to choose the D.S. such as the pyloric valve, no pouch, wide variety of healthy foods, no dumping, malabsorbtion, little chance of regain, and making it to my goal weight. I never once regretted choosing the D.S. or my surgeon. Read everything you can, research everywhere on line, ask lots of questions. Best wishes on your WLS journey.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 128 views