cheating on liquid diet

Stacey Kerby
on 8/22/12 5:05 am - NJ
i make it through the whole entire day, but when im stuck cooking dinner for my family, i end up cheating, and i eat something, but i cant get through what i put on my plate, like i made cheese burgers last night and i could only do half of it... is that really bad? i have surgery on monday, im going to call the doctor today and let him know that i have been cheating. :(  hope he doesnt get really mad at me. i was doing really good too, but idk what happened!! so now i refuse to cook dinner lol... 
route66hello
on 8/22/12 7:13 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
I would not beat yourself up too much. For my surgery they did not even require the liquid diet in advance. Just do the best you can :-) But good for you to tell the office since they will know for sure!

Thanks, Terri
Stacey Kerby
on 8/22/12 7:22 am - NJ
 Thanks. I just called the office, they said red meat is BAD before surgery and it takes days to get out of my system, and if I really want the surgery by Monday I need to only eat the jello or chicken broth. And I will do that only because I deff. need this.

:)
kathy215
on 8/22/12 9:41 am
 I truly know how hard it is to stick to the liquid diet but you will get through it.  Please don't heap pride your chance of the dr canceling your surgery because of being non compliant.   I know someone who's dr cancelled her surgery.   You can do this.   When you are tempted to cheat just remember your goal.      

Good Luck
Kathy
Stacey Kerby
on 8/22/12 9:57 am - NJ
 is it important that i have to have protein shakes? they are all disguesting.. is it harmful towards surgery if i dont drink them? do you know...?
PatXYZ
on 8/22/12 11:18 am
It really doesn't sound like you are prepared for the DS if you are cheating on your pre-op diet and not understanding the importance of protein pre-op and post-op. Protein shakes a re non-negotiable. Get used to them. You are going to be drinking a couple each day for a long time to avoid protein malnutrition. I'm 6 months out and still start everyday with one, so fine one you like.

Have you properly prepared yourself for what your post-op vitamin and mineral supplementation is going to look like? I ask because surgeons never recommend enough and their nutritionists cannot be relied upon to give you appropriate information on what our needs are post-op. Go to vitalady.com and have a look at her DS schedule for an idea of what you will really need. If you aren't willing to properly supplement your protein, vitamins and minerals, DO NOT GET A DS. It'll end up making you sick, or worse...
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Stacey Kerby
on 8/22/12 1:48 pm - NJ
 no, i do understand how important it is after surgery, i already have all the vitamins i need.  i just wasnt sure why its so important before surgery? i hate the shakes but i have to deal with it. i have a friend who works for the gnc vitamin store who supplied with me okay tasting protein powder shakes. they say the taste buds might change after surgery, and im hoping mine change to liking the protein shakes lol.

merrymorris
on 8/22/12 12:41 pm - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Wow, yes, you need to take the protein drinks for awhile after the surgery. I don't have to take them that often because I actually can eat enough protein during the day. However, you will need to suck them down at first or there is no way you can get your protein in. I "cheated" on my week long liquid diet but only with soup with potatoes in it. Meat is the worst thing to do.
jennyrenny
on 8/22/12 4:05 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I feel your pain. The preop week was the worst. I was famished. And grumpy. And nervous. It's also tough because it is so hard and you don't really have results yet

You can do it. Just walk away from the food, have a bath, take a walk. Or cook stuff you don't like. Cheeseburgers would have done me in but pork chops and fish I can walk away from. 

Good luck!

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

dtabor5
on 8/22/12 5:37 pm
ummmm..... I didn't have a liquid diet before surgery and I did great... and the red meat thing, well I guess every Dr. has his rules.. but honestly I would not beat yourself up, they know people are going to slip... just pick up where you left off and keep going ahead... and good luck on Monday!!!

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 128 views