Bone density and WLS...

cabin111
on 8/21/12 7:48 pm
RNYer here.  I'm going to post this on the DS and RNY Forums since both surgeries are malabsorptive.  Just wondering if there are any double blind technical studies concerning bone density and WLS.  My surgeon recommended a bone density scan...While my PCP said I didn't need one.  Never got one (I was self pay).  My feeling is it is what it is (almost 6 years out).  All my labs are good...I take my calcium daily.  Just wondering, of those of you who are many years out, how do your scans look?  Thanks, Brian  PS  I ride my bike a lot and am worried about crashes and brittle bone disease...
MajorMom
on 8/22/12 2:09 am - VA
It couldn't hurt at all to get a bone density scan and they aren't that expensive if you're stuck with the bill.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

route66hello
on 8/22/12 7:07 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
I am a DSer. I had the bone density scan as a baseline right before surgery. It was the easiest test there could be. Given it has been 6 years I would lean toward doing one. You would want to catch problems early since by the time a bone breaks the scan is not helpful. My 2 cents only... Terri
duncans
on 8/22/12 9:12 pm
I don't understand your question. How can you double-blind-study when this is simple data gathering? Are you asking re: drug supplementation?

Cycling does not put enough stress on your bones to provide much bone protection. Walking is a better choice.

I supplement heavily, due to poor calcium absorption, by taking Vit D 250K, K1,K2 (MK4,MK7), and Boron.  DEXA scans went from no problem preop, to osteopenia, to osteoporosis, back to osteopenia. The data helped guide my supplementation and motivation. Get the scans. You won't be able to "feel" that there is a problem until it is too late.

"All my labs are good..." doesn't really paint a clear picture. Post your complete lab values. Serum calcium is worthless when considering your bones.

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/23/12 11:39 pm
Get a scan. I didn't have one preop- and have been normal post op- but did show some bone loss between years 1 and 3. The thought was that some bone loss was due to the loss of 300 lbs. But the only way to keep track of it is to continue getting scans every few years.

Scott
cabin111
on 8/24/12 1:33 pm
This is what I was looking for...Someone on the RNY Forum posted it.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/93/10/3735.short
http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/89/3/1061.short

SharonG
on 8/24/12 7:25 pm - Arlington, VA
I would suggest getting a bone scan to see where you are - it may be fine, but it can't hurt to have a marker to compare future scans to or to find out if you are encountering issues.

I did not get my first bone scan until I was post op (shortly after my DS, though).   Thankfully, my scan was completely normal.  I have had them every two years since my DS and they have remained normal, however, the last one I had (December, 2011) was a real eye-opener.  While I am still in the normal range, I lost almost 10% of my bone mass in a 2 year period.  It was noted as a concern in the report and, since it was caught early, we are working on it.   

My PCP is working with me on this as he is concerned by the huge loss of bone mass in a short period.  We are trying to hold the bone mass numbers steady or to improve them - first by increasing my calcium and vitamin D (both are in normal range, but I am trying to get the numbers up to the high side of normal) and weight bearing exercise.  We will test again this year to see if there has been further loss.  If I continue to lose bone mass, then we can resort to pharmaceutical options, if necessary. 

We only detected this because I have had regular bone scans. 

BTW,  I am 9 1/2 years post op and don't know of any specific studies, but have heard of others who have had similar experiences to mine. 

Best wishes,
Sharon

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 127 views