New Here...Considering DS after failed Lap-band

Victorious_one
on 8/21/12 4:27 am - South Central, PA
 Hi, Mama!

There are links in my signature that I recommend for newbies who are interested in the DS.  Check those out--the will answer a lot of your questions.

You can learn a lot about vitamins for both the DS and the RnY at Vitalady.com.  Dry vitamins are not in gel or liquid caps form; pills, chewables, capsules.

The DS is indeed a radical surgery.  Like every surgery, it has its risks.  It is very complicated, particularly for revisions, so only one of about six surgeons in the U.S. should be considered if you want to revise.

As far as the carb monster, it is not a unique problem.  There is a lot of discussion about cross-addictions and the differences in our cravings pre- vs. post op, and pre- vs. post-revision.  Everyone is different.  Basically, if you eat a lot of carbs (I'd say more than 100g/day), you will slow the rate of your weight loss, and possibly limit the amount you lose.  Revisions tend to lose more slowly, and tend to lose less weight that virgin DSers.  You will definitely have to watch carbs during the first two years or so in order to lose the most weight.  The great thing is that you can eat as much fat as you need to, and you don't count calories, and you don't have to go low-cal.  That means that you have more food and snacking options overall, even though you won't be eating a lot of sweets.  Your cravings for sweets should go down as you eat fewer of those.  

I'm about two years and two months out.  I eat a ton of carbs--like 300+ / day.  I would NOT recommend this!  I am under goal with a BMI of 20.  This is still considered the honeymoon period; at some point, it is likely that I will need to stop eating so many carbs if I want my weight to stay stable.  What point that is, no one knows:  maybe three years out, six, or more.  Some people determine that freedom in eating is more important than their weight/size.  Most people seek to strike a balance between the two:  not staying on a low-carb diet forever, and not letting their carb intake get so out of control that they regain a lot.  Again, each person is different.  Also, everything changes after surgery in terms of your cravings and food preferences.  What's a problem now may not be in the future.

I hope this helps.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 128 views