Question for Vets re: Hair Loss

BrendaMarie
on 8/16/12 7:33 pm - Canada
I am wondering how common hair loss is after the DS? Which vitamin or mineral controls hair growth and loss? Thanks for your time. 
rcarper1965
on 8/16/12 10:40 pm - OH
I am only 16 days out from surgery but from what I have read, protein is the main reason for hair loss.  Or should I say lack of protein is the cause.  The more protein you get in the less likely you are going to have hair loss from what I understand.  Good luck. 

route66hello
on 8/16/12 11:19 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
I would love to hear more on this subject. My hair is falling out rapidly and I am taking the Multivitiam and eating the correct protien levels.

Switch_Me
on 8/17/12 5:59 am - Baltimore, MD

Here's a great article on the matter:

http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/09/19/the-latest-on-nutrition-and-hair-loss-in-the-bariatric-patient/

As they mention in the article telogen effluvium is thepat common cause of losing hair after weight loss surgery. They go over why this happens after surgery. 

Hope this helps!

BrendaMarie
on 8/17/12 6:38 am - Canada
 Thanks, that is very helpful !!!!

Valerie G.
on 8/17/12 6:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 It's very common and nothing controls the loss.  Its important to understand WHY this occurs.  
Your hair growth cycle is rebooted from the trauma of the surgery to the body.  It's called telogen effluvium and also occurs commonly after child birth, too.  What's happening is that new hairs are emerging and pushing out the old hairs.  Any extra vitamins will benefit the new hairs - but not prevent the old from shedding.  My best advice is to get a cute layered hair cut around 3 months out, so your new growth will blend in nicely.  Those with the lovely straight locks wind up looking a little like a chia pet during this phase.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

BrendaMarie
on 8/17/12 6:41 am - Canada
 Thanks Val. I was just in a bit of a panic as I was in the waiting room of the bariatric clinic last week and there was a woman in there whose hair was extremely thin. She had the RNY and it  kind of freaked me out as the DS is even more malabsorptive and I was picturing myself bald and it wasn't pretty !!!!!!!
Valerie G.
on 8/17/12 7:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If it's the first year - then blame telogen effluvium.  It starts a few months post op and lasts only a few months.  If it's later than that - then it's likely malnutrition of some sort.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

route66hello
on 8/17/12 8:04 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Thanks all for the information and the link! Terri

Psyche
on 8/21/12 7:59 pm
It is very common. I have experienced it after every surgery I have had, not just the DS.
SW 280 / GW 150 / CW 128.8

Reconstructive surgery, under construction!

Lower Body Lift - 12/14/2011 - Atlanta VA Medical Center
Brachioplasty & Mastopexy w/Augmentation - 03/14/2012 - Dr Marisa Lawrence

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views