Learning Maintenance

Switch_Me
on 8/15/12 8:17 pm - Baltimore, MD
This was a post on Spark People that was forwarded to me. Even as a preop I can relate to this having yo-yo'd quite a bit throughout the years. I think this highlights some major psychological points after significant weight loss as well. I hope some folks can identify with this and perhaps use it to regain focus or just reinforcement for the life after significant weight loss.

Learning Maintenance: Mental Phases

I believe maintenance can be learned. I've been at this for over two and half years, and I seem to be getting better at it. Here's a way of looking at my progress in terms of what is going on in my head at any given time. See the bottom of this post for a related blog post about framing my progress in terms of levels of maintenance.

Over the past 2+ years I've noticed some phases that I seem to go through. I don't think I ever saw these phases so clearly before because I never got this far in maintenance in the first place. This time around is different because I haven't given up - I've persisted enough to gain some longer perspective. And I have some very good buddies who keep an eye on me and offer up tuff love on the occasions I need it.

Phases of Maintenance

1) Honeymoon Phase
"Woo hoo! I'm smaller! I can wear normal-sized clothes! Who IS that person in the mirror, anyway?!"
"Wait a minute, what should I be eating, now? How much should I be eating now?"

2) Is this it?
"Is this all there is?"
"How come my life isn't magically better in all aspects?"
"Sure I look better and can move better, but this sure feels like a lot of work. Can I stop tracking, now?"

3) Regain. Ouch.
"Maybe It's jus****er gain. Maybe this is just normal fluctuation. Maybe the goal weight I'd picked isn't sustainable."
"OMG, it's starting all over again. I'm going back to square one, I can feel it. I'm going to gain it all back again! Damn, damn, damn."
"Do I have enough courage to admit there's a problem and I need to track more carefully and increase my exercise?"

4) Re-loss. Sigh.
"Well, this situation isn't pretty, but it's reality. At least I know how to get the weight back off. Ugh."
"I can't believe I let this get away from me. Never again."

5) Yay, I'm finally back in my "Happy Range."
"This isn't as exciting as it was the first time I was here, but it's nice in a homey sort of way. I like wearing my favorite jeans."
"Yeah, tracking is a pain, but I like my life at this size, so I'm gonna do it."

6) Body Recomposition and new goals.
"I wonder if I could benefit from skin removal?"
"What about body fat and muscle? How can I manipulate them?"
"I wonder if I would prefer to be more (or fewer) pounds?"
"What would it be like to run a marathon? Squat more than my body weight? Kayak cleanly down a class IV-V river?"

-----------------------

You can see a graphic example of these phases here:
docs.google.com/spreadsh
eet/ccc?key=0Ah4KrA4GkhKgd
EF6dlJkbnNlVEFCZlhxRElCWDZ
NUlE#gid=8

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views