Red Meats.

rcarper1965
on 8/16/12 10:45 pm - OH
 I had my DS surgery July 31st.  While I tried to follow the diet progression the best I could, I found myself eating soft foods sooner than I was supposed to.  Now I am eating regular food here and there and doing fine with it.  I am careful what I eat and how much I eat.  I was wondering when the vets began to introduce red meats?  I am dying for a small steak right now.  I aslo wondered when eating red meats is it better to have them medium rare than well done?  I ask this because my surgeon is always telling me not to eat a burnt T-Bone.  Prior to surgery, I ate my steaks either rare or medium rare.  Are there any possible complications if I introduce steak to early?   I wouldn't want to hurt anything the surgeon has done.  Thanks for reading and God Bless.

k9ophile
on 8/16/12 4:36 pm, edited 8/16/12 4:38 pm
My surgeon didn't want me eating beef for at least 6 months (Or was it a year?  It seemed totally unreasonable so I imagine it was a year).  I didn't wait that long and didn't do any harm.  I'm sorry that I can't remember for sure how long I waited.  Just eat it slowly and chew it thoroughly, which is good advice for everybody even without surgery.

ETA:  I had a very rough recovery.  I had a hard time with most foods for a long time.  Yet I'm thinking it might be a little early for you to try red meat.  Maybe at 3 months?  Same advice; go slow and chew, chew, chew.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

MajorMom
on 8/17/12 2:03 am - VA
I had some wonderful medium rare rib eye steak on my 1 month surgiversary and it was great. :)  I couldn't handle chicken or fish easily early out but very marbled, tender, medium rare steak was not an issue.  My go-to meat otherwise was shrimp.

Try steak slowly and see how you do.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 8/17/12 6:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I was eating whatever I wanted when I came home.  Get a good and tender cut like ribeye or filet, and cook it like you want it and enjoy!  Just chew it really well.  One thing I can recommend is to be careful with hamburger.  It took me some time to tolerate that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Huneypie
on 8/17/12 6:40 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I've already had some chili (very soupy mild chili).  I'm a week ahead of you, although I'm a 2 parter so I've snuck ahead a bit (REALLY well chewed chicken is mushy food in my book).

Stew may be a good starting point as that should be nice and tender.  See how that goes and then take it from there.

BTW I have some tenderized steak Diane in the freezer, but I'm leaving it a few more days - I'll be 4 weeks out on Tuesday, so am doing my best to leave it closer to then, which is when I'm officially free dietwise, apart from evil carbs of course!! ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

maryc543
on 8/17/12 6:41 am
Beef, probably because of the fiberous strands in it, was hard for me to tolerate....   I could eat ground beef, if mixed with something wet, (i.e.,  no bean chili, or creamy ground beef stroganoff).  I was at least 8 or 9 weeks out before I tried real hunks of   beef.    I agree with everyone elses suggestions, try a fat marbled piece, like a rib eye....  rare or med rare shouldn't matter....   many Docs warn everyone, not just WLS peeeps, away from burnt meats because of potential problems with carcinogens  ?sp...   just a theory....       My advice, start with ground beef, if you tolerate it well, move on to steaks and enjoy!!!!   Protein, protein, protein!!!!
    Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

larra
on 8/17/12 8:02 am - bay area, CA
Different docs give different advice. Mine was no beef, chicken, etc for the first month, ok as tolerated after that.
    I had more trouble eating than most people, but did relatively well with steak, if tender and rare, which is how I like it. I had a terrible time with hamburger, which you would think would be easier, but it wasn't. Something about the texture, I think. It took about a year before I could eat hamburger, but I'm fine with it now.

Larra
southernlady5464
on 8/17/12 3:07 pm
I did hamburger fairly early but put applesauce (YEAP) on it to keep it moist. And the first time, I tried, I ate about 1/8 of a burger (dh was 5 weeks ahead of me and he ate almost 1/2).

I found chicken way too dry. However, steak, as long as it was a good cut, was heaven!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

rcarper1965
on 8/18/12 8:16 pm - OH
 Thanks for all the advice.  I worry about my protein intake.  I do good for the most part but there are days I only get 2 protein shakes in.  I am eating high protein meals but there are days I don't feel like eating so I end up eating just one or two meals too.  I am trying to do better and make myself eat.  Trying to get a variety of food ready for me to work on.  God Bless.

Emantha
on 8/19/12 11:53 am
HI,
 I had my DS on July 11th, and had stsek a week after i came out of the hospital, had stuffed pork chops that following sunday, and meatballs the next wednesday. eat slow, chew chew chew chew chew, and eat whatever you want. as tolerated, of course! I still haven't found anything i can't eat.  God Bless you on this awesome journey.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views