Anybody deal with low potassium.

J G.
on 8/14/12 8:58 pm
Chris, my drugist told me all prescription potassium chloride is extended release.  So I asked my doc to write a script for Potassium Citrate.  The real plus is it helps prevent kidney stones.  And doesn't upset my stomach.  Leg cramps gone.  It's 1080 mg per pill and I started out cutting it in half and taking 1/2 with breakfast and 1/2 with dinner.  Now I am down to 1/3, twice a day. 
Crazeru
on 8/16/12 4:04 pm
Jenny,
Thanks for that recommendation.  I absolutely hate the powder... it's so salty even mixed with the gatorade.  Yuck.  So mostly I haven't been taking it.  But, as I was researching the low potassium, I noticed that abdominal bloating and swelling was as side effect...  I've been blaming my swelling nightly on my PS 18mo ago, and it may just be low pot.  Sending my PCP an email about a new prescription.  I did take 2 packets yesterday. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Mikey666
on 2/16/19 3:46 am

hello I'm new I'm researching RNY BYPASS.

I've dealt with potassium issues all my life due to kidney problem.

I take sustained release medications 600mg SPAN-K potassium every day

If I go without for even a week I can be in hospital in serious condition.

I'm curious and yet to find a definitive answer on if MALABSORPTION from RNY BYPASS will affect my medication.

I take very high dose and I'm reading people having low potassium issues after bypass, well I was born that way.

In theory I don't see how it could make my issues any worse as I take potassium daily at high dose that is ONLY available on script.

You seem to be dealing with similar issues and Said you were given tablets similar to mine I assume and you're able to take them and manage your potassium issues is that correct?

I've been doing research for months and really need to get bypass due to multiple co morbidities & diabetes!!

APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE!!

MIKE

Valerie G.
on 8/15/12 8:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Mine dropped while still in the hospital.  They had me inject some nasty liquid into my j-tube .. the only time I had to use it (and glad I had it) , for that stuff smelled horrible.  I was back up to a level they liked by the next morning.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 1:29 pm
Levels were the same as the day before. She was given some a prescription liquid potassium chloride to put into her J-tube the next 3 days then go back to get checked again on friday to see where it's at hopefully something closer to normal.

Thank's everyone for the information
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/12 6:35 am
My potassium sank too--doc put me on 40 meq at first to get it back up quickly and I've been maintaining good labs of 4.2 potassium by taking 20 meq daily for the past two and a half years. Just be sure to not self medicate and only go by your doc and labs when it comes to your potassium--it's nothing to mess with.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 127 views