Anybody deal with low potassium.

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 10:32 pm
A family member of mine who just had DS 6 weeks ago has very low potassium levels right now. Doctor prescribed some potassium pills 3 weeks but they weren't taking them so now we have to play catch up. 

Did anyone deal with anything similar to this and how did you go about getting your levels back up and did you feel any better and how quickly?

Thank you for any responses

stromgardgirl
on 8/13/12 11:26 pm
 I know you don't want to mess with potassium. It is serious business. I'm pretty fresh out but I take 2 potassium a day and my levels are good. I know Gatorade powerade type drinks can help as well as v8 I think. Might need to look into iv for it to get a boost. Like I said I'm a newbie but was kinda low when in the middle of my complications after surgery and got some on iv if I remember correctly.

MajorMom
on 8/14/12 4:09 am - VA
Excellent advice!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MajorMom
on 8/14/12 4:08 am - VA
They better play catch up! Potassium is nothing to mess with. Also, as the person posted before me, low sodium V8 juice is an excellent booster for potassium. It has 820mg per 8oz glass and is only 9 carbs. If the taste and texture is too much, water it down and add a little lemon juice. Tell your family member to get on the stick! :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Debbie P.
on 8/14/12 5:43 am - Kettering, OH
I had a severe potassium deficiency early out.  I was so weak and dizzy, I literally had to crawl out of the shower one day.  My doc thought I was dehydrated, but when he got my potassium levels, I was admitted to hospital.  I was put on heart monitors and told my levels were so low that my heart could give out.  EEKS!!!!  I had to drink potassium (OH MY GO**** is AWFUL!!!), take potassium pills and also have a potassium IV (which burns like FIRE!!!!).  Oh my go**** was a terrible time.  Once my levels got back up and I was released from hospital, I had to take potassium pills for about a year.  I'm 6 1/2 years out and haven't had a problem since.

Don't mess with potassium!

JazzyOne9254
on 8/14/12 9:03 am
 If you have Rx insurance, get a script from your doc for Klor-Con EF.

It makes a slightly carbonated orange drink. If you need it without carbonation , swirl it in the glass before putting any ice in.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

twodelight
on 8/14/12 9:37 am - Atlanta, GA
Potassium is no joke and not to be played with. I was admitted in the hospital on July 22 and stayed overnight due to dangerously low potassium. I had the symptoms of having a mild mini stroke. My blood pressure rose to 176/128 but my heart was ok. I currently take the potassium pills and have felt good so far. I get my levels checked again this Friday. During my hospital stay, I had to get an IV of potassium and like the previous poster mentioned it burned like crazy but left me with the BIGGEST headache for a couple of days. I was really dehydrated and had to get 2 bags of saline. I was a mess. Right before this happened, My stomach use to bother me all the time. I had orange slicks daily, and gas out of this world. But since taking the potassium, things in my stomach have calmed down and I almost feel normal. Google low potassium and read about it and you will be more cautious about it.

JazzyOne9254
on 8/14/12 3:21 pm, edited 8/13/12 8:23 pm
Those orange slicks are a sign that your DS is working correctly. It's fat that your body didn't absorb. No need for concern.

If the food was red, the slicks will be orange in color and oily looking. green, light green and oily, but...

If you see tarry black or bright red, that means you're bleeding internally somewhere. If that ever happens, get to the ER, STAT!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 1:46 pm
Levels were indeed pretty low. Got some potassium pills taken and had a follow up at Bariatric office anyways. She was sent to hospital to get levels checked again so we will see what the results are. Then see what we have to do next as far supplements, gatorade or the pills she has prescribed now as what the doctor wants to do.

Appreciate everyone's information,

Thank you,
Crazeru
on 8/14/12 3:39 pm
I've had low potassium since my DS.  I was taking K-Tabs (yellow pill) but they are an extended release, so asked for a different prescription and ended up with the packets that I mix into gadorade....  I hate it.  I'll be going back to the K-Tabs.  My lowest has been 3.2 highest 3.8.  When I start getting leg cramps, I know I'm getting low and would take an extra pill for a few days and be ok.  I've been eating almonds, and dried papaya and seem to be doing ok.  I was 4 yrs out in April.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views