medicaid and DS surgery

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 9:00 am - Mobile, AL
I am trying to find a ds surgeon who accepts medicaid but no such luck and usggestions would be awesome.oh and also I am from Alabama and so far I have called the doctors in alabama and they no longer do the ds and the doctors in georgia and texas do not accept medicaid.
calendargirl
on 8/15/12 3:01 am, edited 8/15/12 3:02 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
Both of these vetted DS surgeons take Medicaid.  Call their offices for more info.  Good luck in your journey.

Kansas
Bernita Berntsen, MD, FACS, FASMBS
St. Francis Health Center
1700 SW 7th St.
Topeka, KS 66606
http://www.topekaobesitysurgery.com/
Phone: 785-228-4773
Email: [email protected]    

Nebraska  
Gary Anthone, MD, FACS
Email: [email protected]
Methodist Physicians Clinic
8111 West Dodge Rd., Suite 220
Omaha, NE 68114
http://www.methodistbariatric.com/
Phone: 402-354-1320
Fax: 402-354-5965

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 3:28 pm - Mobile, AL
topeka obesity surgery does not accept medicaid unfortunately.
calendargirl
on 8/15/12 4:24 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Interesting... I asked at my last appointment with them, just in case someone here inquired, and the answer was YES... perhaps something has changed?

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

RPick67
on 8/15/12 10:49 am
VSG on 06/11/13
What you need to look for is Hospitals that are Centers of Excellence first.  Centers of Excellence are Medicare/Medicaid approved hospitals.  Then see if the bariatric surgeons at the hospital perform the DS .  I know Dr. Roslin in NY and Dr. McGuire and Dr. Teel in OH are affiliated with Center of Excellence hospitals and perform the DS.  R U sure about Texas?  I thought I new of one there. Good luck!!!

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

JazzyOne9254
on 8/15/12 1:48 pm
You should make sure your hospital is a Bariatric Center Of Excellence, as Medicare/Medicaid will not pay for a surgery done in a hosptial without that designation.

That's how my DS was paid for.  MY SMO was disabling me even further than lupus and fibromyalgia, so just to be sure. make sure you get a letter of medical necessity from your doctor.

When I had my surgery in 2009, Medicare/Medicaid only paid for two bariatric surgeries, RNY and DS. I beleive that is still the case.
If you need to travel to have your surgery, go through St. Vincent's in Carmel, IN.  They are a COE, and my surgeon, Dr. Margaret Inman, performs the DS there. She is the only DS surgeon in the state of Indiana.

Good luck to you in your pursiut of this life-changing, lifesaving surgery.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 3:28 pm - Mobile, AL
Do you have any additional information about them?
MsBatt
on 8/15/12 3:46 pm
Have you been to www.dsfacts.com ? You can find a list of DS surgeons there. There are none in 'Bama, alas. Have you checked in TN?
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 11:46 am - Mobile, AL
i will look into that
JazzyOne9254
on 8/15/12 10:05 am, edited 8/15/12 10:20 am
Yes, Dr. Inman is with Meridian Surgical Group -  800-835-0971 The group specializes in bariatric surgery. You can see them at the St. Vincent's site.

St. Vincent Bariatric Center Of Excellence has a website:     
http://www.stvincent.org/St-Vincent-Carmel/Medical-Services/Bariatric-Weight-Loss.aspx

They require attendance of one of their pre-op seminars, a psych eval, which determines how much pre-op work you have to do prior to surgery and pre-op labs..  I had to attend St. V's support groups for six months prior to my surgery.  Since you would be out of town, they may handle it another way.  Also, plan on  living near the hospital for at least 30 days post-op, in case of  complications.

You must specifically tell them you want the DS when you schedule for a seminar, as Dr. Inman is the only doctor who includes information about the DS in pre-op seminars, since she is the only one who performs them.

Dr. Inman requires a 5 year follow-up for DS patients.  I have labs done every 6 months, just because I have had a deficiency issue here and there, especially with calcium.  I'm not sure if she's changed her follow up protocol to every 6 months for DSers  who have no abnormal lab issues, if not, you'll have a visit at  3 months post op, 6 months post op, 1 year post op and once a year after that  if you have no nutritional or other issues with your DS.. Since I have had some issues, the worst this time around,  I see her every six months.

This bariatric surgery program is top shelf!  There has been a bariatric surgery program at     St. V's since the mid to late 1970's.

One thing: are you talking about Medicare or Medicaid?  If you only have Medicaid, then it won't be accepted outside of your own state.  Medicare is just like regular insurance, and is accepted all over the United States. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views