I'm approved!!!

weebuddy
on 8/8/12 5:12 am - Grimsby, Canada
DS on 12/19/12
 I was approved for two stage DS yesterday by Dr. Hong at St. Joseph's Hospital Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.   SOOOO happy and relieved!!!!!!  I really don't mind having a two stage surgery.  He was concerned with the amount of central obesity.  Whatever will be safest is just fine by me.  I know a virgin DS is ideal but I am content to get it at all.  He will likely do the switch within 6-9 months of the VSG which will be in about 3 months or so.  The hospital program has been running a little slower.  Possibly due to summer hours or just volume.  A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTS HERE.  Your willingness to share your experiences and your wealth of knowledge has helped me enormously.  I hope i will be able to help someone with my bariatric experiences. 
MajorMom
on 8/8/12 7:54 am - VA
Congratulations!!  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

weebuddy
on 8/8/12 12:57 pm - Grimsby, Canada
DS on 12/19/12
Thank you very much.  I hope i am able to do as well as you have. 
BrendaMarie
on 8/9/12 5:01 pm - Canada
 Wow you still have to wait 3 months. I am in the process now and am quite disappointed to hear that you are still 3 months out for your surgery. I haven't even met with Dr Hong yet. Did he tell you right away that you were approved or did you have to wait to get a call from the hospital? Do you mind if I ask what you mean by "central obesity". Is that where you carry most of your weight? I hope you don't mind all the questions. I am just so hoping for the DS and want all the info I can get . Thanks.
Brenda

weebuddy
on 8/11/12 11:48 pm - Grimsby, Canada
DS on 12/19/12
Hi BrendaMarie!  Do you have an appt with Dr. Hong?  He is very nice and very professional.  You know if you are approved for a particular surgery at the end of the appt.  Some times the surgeon will not be able to do a bypass at the time of surgery and may just do a VSG.  It depends a lot of things including adhesions and too much visceral fat.  There has been a bit of a log jam at St. Joes, Hamilton, Ontario since the beginning of the summer.  Most people wanting RNY or VSG had their surgeries 8-10 weeks following their surgeon appt.  DS patients are still waiting 12-16 months.  DS takes about 6 hrs in the OR whereas the other procedures only take 2 1/2 - 3 hrs.  You are right about the central obesity being belly fat.  Tend to have fattier livers and a little less room to maneuver during the surgery.  He said he may try to do it in one stage if he can. I plan to lose some weight even before starting Optifast.  May make it possible to just have the one surgery.  Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about the process. There are so many vets here on this forum who are generous with their time and experience. I would advise you to seek their help.   Good luck with your journey.    
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views