To DS or not to DS

southernlady5464
on 8/5/12 8:56 am
I chose it because I needed to take NSAIDS and could not do that with a RNY. I also chose it because of the higher rate of resolution for diabetes.

Sugar highs and lows are no fun and I would love to have that all gone as much at the weight.

I still have reactive hypoglycemia...had it LONG before the DS and knew that I did NOT want to make it worse with the RNY.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

larra
on 8/4/12 9:10 am - bay area, CA
I don't know who you are quoting, but I would consider THAT person to be the irresponsible one. The DS is a standard of care operation. It has been done in the USA since 1988. It is neither experimental nor overly extreme. When it first came around, it was limited to heavier patients, and thus the myths about the higher complication rates. In reality, if you compare patients with similar bmi and comorbidities, the complication rates for DS and gastric bypass are the same -

but the results are NOT the same. The DS has the best statistics of any wls for percentage excess weight loss, maintaining that weight loss (weight regain is the dirty little secret of gastric bypass) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It also has the most normal diet and pattern of eating. No dumping. You can drink liquids with meals. You can take NSAIDs. No food getting stuck. DS has the lowest failure rate of any wls. It works for "lightweights", but is still esp valuable for heavier patients because of the higher percentage excess weight loss. I don't know you statistics, and I'm not asking, but from what you have said about yourself, I would say it's the ideal choice for you.

There are some people who diss the DS out of ignorance. There are others who diss the DS because they don't do it, and if patients go to someone else, they lose paying customers. Either way, they are wrong.

Gas - potential problem with either operation. I have a dear friend with gastric bypass who has terrible smelling gas (though I don't love her any the less!). It both cases, it's almost always diet related - you learn what foods will cause gas, usually carbs, and avoid them if you are going to be among people. It's that simple. I'm not sure why people get so hung up about the gas issue. I looked at gastric bypass and the dumping, vomiting, and inability to take NSAIDs for the rest of my life, the list of foods I was never supposed to eat ever again, and the failure rate, and THAT was too scary for me.

Larra
skinnime12
on 8/4/12 10:59 am
Wonderfully put!! Your posts always put my mind at ease!! Thanks Larra!

Gutless_in_Seattle
on 8/6/12 8:16 am - Seattle, WA
" I looked at gastric bypass and the dumping, vomiting, and inability to take NSAIDs for the rest of my life, the list of foods I was never supposed to eat ever again, and the failure rate, and THAT was too scary for me."

Well said Larra!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Women and Cats will do as they please,
...and Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS with Dr. Myur Srikanth
Virgin DS Lap Surgery scheduled for December 4th, 2012

Auntie_Annie
on 8/4/12 12:45 pm - PA
DS on 08/20/12
I second what everyone else is saying.  I have a few friends who have had the RNY and have had nothing but issues.  One is currently in the hospital again.  Another one of my friends had the lap band and is now having so many issues with his gall bladder he has to go in for another surgery.  The reasons I chose the DS (two weeks from my surgery date) was because of being able to eat more normally (although, very high protein and avoiding carbs) and the lessened risk of significant weight regain.  I know yet another person who had the RNY, a former co-worker, and gained almost all of the weight she lost back.  And I don't know about you, but I would rather have stinky farts occasionally than have to worry about dumping syndrome or food getting stuck 

Choose a vetted surgeon and research, research, research.  Ask lots of questions.  dsfacts.com is a great tool.
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
Sandra C.
on 8/4/12 2:30 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Datha,
I whole heartedly agree with all the people here. The pro/con list I made pre surgery helped me see all the negative issues with the RNY, and fewer liveable issues with the D.S. Definitely couldnt live with the thought of nausea,  limiting food choices. or living without NSAIDS. My hip and knee arthritis need NSAIDS,the older you get, the more necessary they are.

Surgeons who dont offer the D.S. have brainwashed their patients into thinking the D.S. is really bad. In reality its great for lightweights and heavy weights. The best part of it is keeping the pilorus intact for digestion. Thats why you can eat lots of fiberous foods like asparagus, fruits, any kind of meat with fat, and more, the list is endless. I dont have many issues with dairy,carbs or sugar, but everyone is different. My sistem was more sensitive in the early months than now, a year out. Yeast in bread was the most gas causing food for me, but less of an issue now. No matter which surgery or medical weight loss program  you choose, carbs are limited. I am so happy to be able to have ice cream, popcorn, nuts, cheddar cheese, chicken wings, bacon, italian sausage, steak, salads, and on and on the list is endless. I wouldnt have reached my goal weight without the malabsrbtion of the D.S. Its not scary, I like the way its been going, life is good, much better now I have lost 130 lbs, and confident I can keep it off, without regain.

The surgery for any of the choices is about the same to me, in that theres going to be cutting of internal parts, reattaching, bypassing, reducing stomach or creating a pouch. Laparoscopic is quicker healing, less painful recovery than an open procedure. My surgeon was able to do my D.S. laparoscopically, with ease. He is on the OH vetted list, well known for the D.S. and all the other types of WLS. You can choose which ever surgery you like with him. There are great WLS surgeons on each coast and in the middle, mine is in Michigan. You have lots to choose from. Read about Dr. Kemmeters practice and all the posible WLS on the Grand Health Partners site. After care is very important. Research what each surgeon offers pre diet through follow up throughout the first year and beyond.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

DeweysGirl
on 8/5/12 6:09 am - UT
Thanks so much to everyone *****sponded to my post.  I have spent the last two days reading and researching and now feel confident that when the time comes I will be making the right decision for me. 
Switch_Me
on 8/5/12 7:50 am - Baltimore, MD
 Hi Dartha. I had many of the same concerns that you mentioned. What has me sold on the DS is not only the power of the tool for initial loss but for maintenance as well.  I have seen many people who have had the R-en-Y only to regain, often times close to their preop weight. I wouldn't want to deal with that after a major surgery.  I know that the DS isn't a fail safe but I personally feel that it offers continued help with the malabsorption.  That, along with many other reasons, is why I'm still seeking the DS as my surgical tool!  Good luck with your continued research!
bugirll
on 8/5/12 8:46 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
What part of baltimore are you from?  Im from Catonsville.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Switch_Me
on 8/5/12 9:11 am, edited 8/5/12 9:11 am - Baltimore, MD
 I actually just moved here for work last week. I'm near Locust Point. But originally I'm from NY.  Is there a DS or WLS group around town??  It's nice to meet a local!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views