To DS or not to DS

DeweysGirl
on 8/3/12 3:55 pm - UT
My surgeon recommemded gave me a choice the Duodenal Switch or the more traditional Gastric Bypass.  I have been reading all I can about both.  Just when I think I have decided on the DS I find something that scares me to death.  How does anyone make a decision with so many opinions out there?
Auntie_Annie
on 8/4/12 2:59 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
What is it about the DS that scares you to death?
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
DeweysGirl
on 8/4/12 8:59 am - UT
Nothing scared me at first.  It sounded so right for me.  But then I found a page where people were saying that it was so radical they couldn't believe that doctors would do it.  Quote, " DS is such a drastic surgery that it is normally reserved for the super morbidly obese (over 400 lbs/BMI over 60) category.  In fact I would consider a surgeon that would perform it on someone not in that category to be irresponsible."   I am really only a few pounds and a few points from that.  I am feeling much better now that I have read some of the comments on these pages.  The Malabsorption is my main concern.  Is the gas any worse than normal gas from eating foods that affect one that way? or is it just the oder that is so disturbing?
Valerie G.
on 8/5/12 3:09 am, edited 8/5/12 3:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
That statement is made by surgeons who don't perform it on anybody.
Surgeons who do the DS follow the same guidelines for other procedures.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

determineddanni
on 8/4/12 3:14 am
You have to realize that some of these scary stories are from people who got their DS from shady surgeons (might not even be the DS) and some that are non compliant (not taking their protein, fluids, or vits). The DS is a more complicated surgery but when I really learned and educated myself about the two surgeries, I knew right then that the DS just makes more sense.I was looking for something with long term weight loss (got the DS when i was 26) so I wanted something that would last the rest of my life. If I were you I would stick to only listening to the vets of the DS. They have been there and done that! Don't listen to someone with the RNY, Sleeve, Band about the DS lol that is completely silly.

RESEARCH RESEARCH! a good place to get some solid info is www.dsfacts.com
Dr. Rabkin and Dr. Keshishian (i hope i spelled that right) have great sights as well!

The DS is by far the most amazing tool out there right now. I am in love with it! So I suggest hanging around the boards and really listening to both sides very well. Good luck on your choice:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

DeweysGirl
on 8/4/12 9:28 am - UT
Thanks so much for sending that link.  I have spent hours reading and am convinced that I am ready to choose my surgery.  The DS just makes the moset sense for me.  I too want something that will last the rest of my life.  I know it isn't easy and I am willing to put the work and research into it. 
J G.
on 8/4/12 7:08 am
Datha, sorry you're having a tuff time.   :o( 

Try making a list of pros and cons for each surgery.  Seeing it on paper may help.  Plus you can note which items are really important to you. 

On my list, dumping really stood out.  I didn't think I could deal with dumping, whereas I figured I could learn to cope with some extra gas.  And of major health importance was getting rid of diabetes.  (gone!)    And I wanted to not only loose the weight, but keep it off.  I can tell you that I am 4 yrs out and essentially haven't gained back a pound.  (Yaay!)  Also keep in mind that what one can eat varies from person to person, so you have to just educate yourself and be ready for whatever comes your way.

Good luck!  Come back and ask questions about specifics.  You'll get various opinions and then you can weigh the info.
DeweysGirl
on 8/4/12 9:09 am - UT
Thank you, You addressed some of my very concerns which were the reasons I was thinking the DS was better for me than the RNY.  I am also concerned about ulcers as I have had them in the past.  Sugar highs and lows are no fun and I would love to have that all gone as much at the weight.  It seems to me that most of the problems are workable and solvable with patience.  Would you find that to be true? 
larra
on 8/4/12 9:36 am - bay area, CA
Ulcers? You had ulcers? Another reason against RNY. With RNY, you would have a pouch and a blind stomach, that could not be evaluated with either upper endoscopy or upper GI x-rays. With the DS, you get a sleeve, and the rest of your stomach is removed, so there is no area of stomach that can't be checked if needed.

I have also sent you a pm.

Larra
DeweysGirl
on 8/4/12 11:36 am - UT
Thanks Larra, That is why I was originally focusing on the DS.  Thank you for the info you sent me.  I am feeling much better about making the right decision now.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 127 views