How Long?

rcarper1965
on 8/2/12 11:26 pm - OH
Just had my DS surgery July 31st, got home August 2nd.  How long can I expect to have the runs?  I know they are expected.  Just wondering how long until it starts to form?  Thanks in advance. 

Amy W.
on 8/3/12 12:01 am - Buckeye, AZ
I'm almost 8 years out and have NEVER had a normal poop. It's always diarreha.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Virgo64
on 8/3/12 1:13 am
The runs and soft poo are different.  If it's truly diahrrea that won't stop, you might want to contact your doctor and at least make them aware of the situation.
Wendy_Berd
on 8/3/12 1:44 am - Minneapolis, MN
DS on 07/23/12
 I had mine a week before you.. and yesterday/today were the first time it's had any form at all... Looked like duck poo. (Awful) I also just started soft foods yesterday so that probably has something to do with it?? 
rcarper1965
on 8/3/12 8:09 pm - OH
 It's not that bad.  I think I will be like you and start getting form once I start soft foods.  I hope so anyways.  Either way, the results I will get is more improtant than what I am putting up with now.  Thanks for the replies.  I know it's not a hot topic. :)  

determineddanni
on 8/4/12 3:24 am
First off your poor insides are not going to be normal for awhile. Second if your taking in liquids... liquids will come out! lol Thirdly the if you have the runs consistantly after you get on soft foods then I would contact your doctor. The runs is not normal. I have had normal BM's the day I started soft foods and continue to have them. :) Congrats on your surgery!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

RPick67
on 8/4/12 11:05 am
VSG on 06/11/13
Sorry, this is off your topic....but I was wondering if you had any troube getting Dr. Teel to do the DS. I had read somewhere that he wasn't keen on doing it but I see you had it done recently and was just curious about your experiene.  I have changed my mind and would prefer to have the DS,  but am currently seeing a surgeon who doesn't perform it.  Would just like to no how your experience was at getting the DS with Dr. Teel.  Thanks for any info you can give me. 

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

rcarper1965
on 8/4/12 11:51 pm - OH
 RPick67, it wasn't very hard to talk Dr. Teel into doing the DS surgery.  He was very reluctant at first but once he seen I did my research and knew the possible complications he was fine with doing it.  He even told me on the second appointment that he purposely tries to talk his patients out of DS because of the BM problems associated with DS.  

I must say, Dr. Teel did an awesome job.  I had very little pain, tolerated liquids well and was driving the Saturday after my surgery and I had surgery on Tuesday.  I wish I would have had this done a long time ago.  I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of people at the Miami Valley Hospital and Dr. Teel.  

Now keep in mind, Dr. Teel doesn't have the best bed side mannors but he does know his stuff.  He was very friendly with me and asked me several times if I had any questions.  I highly reccomend Dr. Teel to anybody.  I am very pleased with my surgery and after care.  It's not as bad as I thought it would be.  

If you goto Dr. Teel and want the DS just do your homework prior to seeing him.  Know all the ins and outs of the DS surgery.  He respects this and does do a good job.  Good luck on your journey.  God Bless

Rowland Carper

Valerie G.
on 8/5/12 3:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Dr. Teel wants to know that you've been well-educated on your own about how to keep healthy nutritionally.  He will give a set of guidelines, but won't spoon-feed patients long-term how to keep healthy and doesn't want to see the DS get blamed for their ignorance.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

RPick67
on 8/5/12 3:38 am
VSG on 06/11/13
Thanks so much for the info.  My sister had the DS done 9 years ago and seeing her long term results (and how she is actually able to eat like what I consider normal people and not a bird) and also she has kept the weight off.....I would rather have it. She did have "digestive" issues in the beginning....but it wasn't to the point where she couldn't function normally.  She started taking a probiotic a few months out and it helped her tremendously.  She wouldn't change her decision for anything.   Oh and my surgeon doesn't have great bedside manner either.  He is nice enough, he will answer your questions and his office is run well, but don't expect him to sit there holding your hand.  My sister is an RN and she says Good Luck at finding a surgeon who does. 

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views