Back on Track!

Switch_Me
on 8/1/12 3:35 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi folks!

It's been quite some time since I've been around. I've had some major things happen in life and fortunately things have calmed down a bit.

I'm going to be moving to Baltimore at the end of this week but am disappointed to learn that Dr. Schweitzer has stopped performing the DS. DSfacts.com does list a surgeon in Baltimore but I have never seen anyone on here who has had it performed by him. So it seems I will still need to travel to have the DS performed. I am hoping the insurance through my new job will have a obesity surgery rider as my previous job didn't. After the past events in the last 6 months my bank account is essentially non-existent so it would be quite tricky to afford to self-pay.

I'm carrying on with the low carb lifestyle though I do break down from time to time. I had lost 40lbs since 9/2011 but have gained back about 17lbs in the past few months (I attribute stress and lack of will-power to maintain a low carb diet... aka, my own damn fault!).

I appreciate everyone's input here and enjoy reading about folks' journey and hope that I can one day join the ranks. As for now, I'll keep devouring as much info as I can and am going to try to be a bit more vocal around here!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum!

bliss1203
on 8/2/12 12:50 am - souderton, PA
 You ought to look in to Dr.Boninni at Abington.  It may be a bit of a drive (2-3 hours?).  Good luck and keep us posted!
Auntie_Annie
on 8/2/12 1:53 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Or Dr. Greenbaum in South Jersey!
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
Switch_Me
on 8/2/12 2:41 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks! My first step is going to be checking with the insurance plans offered through my job to see if they cover bariatric surgery. If so then I'm going to see if any of the "local" DS docs are covered (Boninni or Greenbaum) are covered. If not, it's time to saved pennies in hopes for self-pay.

[soapbox] I still find it amazing that employers can choose not to cover this surgery. To me that's like not covering open heart or other life saving/changing surgeries. [/soapbox]
bliss1203
on 8/2/12 3:36 am - souderton, PA
I completely get your frustration.  I went to the seminar, handed the lady my insurance card and when I got home, I called the insurance company to make sure everything would be cover and she said, "It is not covered, no exeption".  It was so frustrating.   (Aetna).
My  hubby ended up getting sick and left his job so I signed on under my job (Keystone Health plan East) and it is covered!  I picked up where I left off.
Hope that its covered, crossing my fingers for you.)
Auntie_Annie
on 8/2/12 3:44 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
See, I had Keystone Healthplan East (HMO) and they did in fact cover it, but my husband's employer added a rider that they would not cover any WLS.  I had to wait a whole year to switch to a PPO. The out of pocket expenses are greater, but at least it's covered. Dealing with insurance really is rather frustrating.  Just hang in there, you'll get through it!
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
Switch_Me
on 8/2/12 9:21 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks for both of your stories! Insurance is such a corrupt system in this country. I'm glad you both ended up having it covered! My employer is much larger than my previous employer so I'm hoping it's covered. I have heard of other similar companies not covering bariatric surgeries so that has me a bit worried but all I can do is look into it and find out.

Thanks for the support! I know others have gone through it with and without the help of insurance coverage so I can too!
Virgo64
on 8/2/12 11:42 am
There is another doctor somewhere in the MD/VA area named Hazem Elariny that you might research as well.  I know one of the frequent posters here - majormom - aka Gina used him.
Switch_Me
on 8/2/12 12:46 pm - Baltimore, MD
 Yes! I had forgotten about Dr. Elariny. He's only an hour away from Baltimore!  I will definitely have to look into him as well!  I looked at his CV and see that he trained at LSU. I don't know much about their program but if he's vetted then I suppose that speaks volumes. 
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views