Regrets?

Huneypie
on 7/31/12 10:41 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

lookthrshegos
on 8/1/12 12:03 am - Huntland, TN
The only regret I have is that I didn't have ds soon.  As in YEARS sooner!
I am 100% sure I would have had a boat load of regrets if I had RNY.  Number one regret in that boat would have been kicking in right about now.  REGAIN!!!!  ALL of the people I know that have had RNY have had very large regain at about 3yrs out if not earlier.  They are all back on or have been on "diets" like weigh****chers or worse. 
Please stop, breathe, research.  If it takes an extra 6 months to a year to be sure of your decision so be it. 
Make an INFORMED decision.

Lucy M.
on 8/1/12 12:42 am - Conway, SC
Hi. I had both the RNY and then the band over bypass.

I revised to DS; it is a very complicated and lengthy procedure. I did well afterwards.  Yes, please do your homework.

I regretted having the RNY and especially the band over the bypass and I paid for all procedures out of my own pocket.

Read, read and read. Think twice, three times and cut once!

Best wishes with whatever procedure you decide upon.

Lucy

484.8/383.4/241/188/150 
                  Sexy 
Pre-op/RNY day/pre DS day/current/goal-  Realize Band 5/15/08; RNY 6/8/05, Removal Band and RNY to DS 8/25/10. RNY & Band surgeon was Dr. Guske.

larra
on 8/1/12 1:03 am - bay area, CA
I was so close to RNY that I was offered a surgery date, having completed every pre-op requirement, including mandatory weight loss. But I just couldn't talk myself into it. Believe me, I tried! I knew I had to do something about my weight. But every time I thought seriously about RNY, I became somewhat sick to my stomach. I finally accepted that it just wasn't right for me. I think I could have accepted all the awful side effects,the dumping, the no liquids with food, the no NSAIDs for life, the food getting stuck, etc, but the 30% failure rate and the hig risk of weight regain were deal breakers for me.
     I learned more about the DS and knew it was something I could live with and be successful with. I had the DS over 6 years ago (could have had RNY about a year sooner and closer to home) and have done great and have absolutely no regrets.

Every wls patient should walk into the OR confident about her or his decision. If you are not confident about your decision, STOP!! and do more research and soul searching. Make sure you know everything possible about what you are getting into, what your other options are, and what you can and can't live with. Be honest with yourself about whether or not you can live with the side effects and limitations of your chosen surgery for the rest of your life. When you reach that point, you will know. If that means postponing surgery a bit longer, so be it. That's a lot easier to live with than having a surgery you regret and being stuck with it.

Larra
southernlady5464
on 8/1/12 2:31 am
Only regret is I didn't have the DS sooner...

I was scheduled for the RNY...but knew deep down it was WRONG for me. I was already on NSAIDS and arthritis is rampant in my family.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

smileyjamie72
on 8/1/12 6:13 am - Palmer, AK

I am also a revision.  I had RNY in 2002, and did a revision from RNY to DS.

Think TWICE, cut ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Nicolle
on 8/1/12 6:21 am
Zero regrets that I had the DS. PLEASE think twice about the RNY.

With the DS, I eat normally (meat, salads, desserts, etc.) and easily maintain my weight loss. It cured my diabetes and sleep apnea.

I think the RNY is barbaric and antiquated.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Frankie
on 8/1/12 6:59 am - NY
I revised to DS from an RNY, my regret that I wish I had known and did the DS first.  If you are having second thoughts, postpone your surgery and research research and research.  As the others have stated think twice cut once!!!

Good luck to you in your journey.

Frankie

NoMore B.
on 8/1/12 7:56 am
Many people travel across the country to get the DS, and you have one of the best DS surgeons right there near you in NYC.  I think you definitely need to research more.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 127 views