Surgery at University of Chicago

leanmama
on 7/30/12 9:41 pm - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13
Been reading and reading, trying to decide on a surgeon and program.  Uof C seems a very comprehensive program with experienced MD's  My question to anyone who had to travel to have the DS how is f/u handled.  The cost of travel is so prohibitive these days.  How do they handeled nutrition and other education progrms and support? Any discussion would he great btw did anyone have their DS at U of C??  Thanks.
teachmid
on 7/30/12 10:10 pm - OKC, OK
I traveled from Oklahoma to California for my revision. I stayed locally for 2 wks and got cleared by my surgeon to fly home. Follow up was with my PCP plus I stayed in email and phone contact with my surgeon.

My support and nutrition education has been on line. Most Bariatric programs are not geared for DS follow up and our nutritional needs.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Valerie G.
on 7/30/12 10:14 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Provided there are no complications, you can have your follow up care handled by your PCP.  Knowing the shortage of DS surgeons, most are ready to partner with your PCP to help. I live close to my DS surgeon, and after 2 years of follow up, saw very little value in the annual visits.  I started combining it all with my annual "scope and grope" appts with my PCP, getting all of the bloodwork done at once, too.   As for education programs, good luck with that.  Even many of the DS surgeons don't have the best educational programs for DSers.  Everything is very RNY centric.  You can get your education and support on your own, with other DSers here and on Proboards are my favorite spots.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sixrealms
on 7/31/12 7:33 am, edited 8/26/12 6:33 am
I've recently received acceptance by Dr Prachand at the U of C for the lap ds. Attendance at their intro seminar and a subsequent interview process is required before acceptance into the program. Before the surgery date is set, I'm required to receive weekly nutrition/weight loss education with a registered dietitian one month prior to surgery, clearance by my PCP, and attend a prep meeting at U of C.  I live 25 miles NW of Chicago, and its takes me slightly more than 1 hr to drive to U of C if not rush hour. Most of my trips to U of C require rush hour travel and I allow 2 1/2 hours for that drive. Of course, my PCP is local and I'll be seeing a local dietitian.

I've done a lot of research and I've found Dr Prachand has thoroughly and patiently addressed all my questions and preferences. Interviews with the psychologist and dietitian were informative and pleasant. U of C is certified as a Medicare approved facility for performing bariatric surgery and is accredited by the American College of Surgeons as a Center of Excellence. Not as yet having stayed at U of C, I cannot comment on the attitude of the hospital staff or condition of the facilities.
BDK1224
on 7/31/12 11:01 am - IL
I had DS @ U of C with Dr. Prachand on 4/24/12.  I live 45 miles west of Chicago.  I thank the lord thats all the futher I had to go.  I was in pretty bad pain and as soon as i left the hospital I had "loose stools" all the way home in rush hour for two hours.  My surgery was 8hrs.  I know other people have had it easier.  I cant imagine trying to get through an airport and sit on a plane for 45 min to 8hrs depending on regional or international travel.  People do it all the time.  i must be wimpy. BTW,  Dr. Prachand was amazing.  Down 130 lbs since April 24th.  I just didnt care for the nurses, kinda cold hearted.  Dont get me wrong, they do what has to be done.  They wont baby you.  They will whip your butt into shape.  I called for the nurse to help me get up and go to the washroom because is was sick of peeing into a bottle.  The nurse said " So, get yourself up and go pee"  then turned and left.  GREAT PROGRAM.  Any other info I can share or any questions I can answer, just ask.  Happy to pay it forward.  Good luck.
_Leslie_
on 8/1/12 5:49 am - Franklin, WI
I had my DS with Prachand...

I wish I didn't... HORRIBLE post surgery experience...

The hospital SUCKS!!!!

I would never in my life recommend that hospital...

My dad has said "I wouldn't let my dog stay there"

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

The_Dude
on 8/5/12 11:18 am
 Can you share your experience?  I have a DS scheduled there on 8/31.
sixrealms
on 10/18/12 7:16 am

Please come back and tell of the experience. I've my surgery scheduled there for December.
The_Dude
on 10/18/12 7:21 am
 It went fine.  My surgery had a slight complication, in that there was scarring from a bout of pancreatitis a few years ago.  Dealing with that, they felt I was under long enough that they didn't want to remove my gall bladder as well, as that would keep me under even longer (I think I was out for 6 hours, total).

My recovery was pretty much text book.  I'm 6 weeks out from the surgery and have lost a little over 50 pounds.

My experience with the hospital and the staff is pretty much entirely positive and I have no regrets having it done where I did.  And I like Dr. Prachand a lot.
Nicolle
on 8/1/12 6:25 am
I live in Chicago and after years of research, I chose the DS and went all the way to San Francisco to have Dr. Rabkin do mine. I could have easily had it at U of C. At the time, their infection rates were horrible and I heard their bariatric aftercare sucked. (I knew three of their DS pateints via OH.)  

I deserve and wanted the best. And that's what I got with Dr. Rabkin. We have about 80-100 Dr. Rabkin DSers in the Chicago area. His whole staff is great, his pateints lose the weight and most keep it off and have very few problems.

If you're going to travel, travel to the best you can afford, I say.

Best of luck to you.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 127 views