Hair question

kathy215
on 7/30/12 2:37 am
 Hi
I am almost 18 months post DS surgery, at 3 to 4 months post op I started losing hair, I think I list about 1/2 which was fine because I had a head full of thick hair,I would say within the past 2 months my hair started to grow again ( those annoying spiky pieces ), but at the same time I think I am losing more hair, it doesn't come out in clumps, but a piece at a time.   I am concentrating starting today with counting my protein grams, I have been bad at counting lately.    I have had a thyroid problem for about 20 years now,  since surgery the dr thinks I am not absorbing the synthroid as well as before, I can't take it with my calcium, multi vit or iron.   Never had a problem before with having a thyroid problem and hair loss, only since the DS

So my ? Is, has anyone had issues with hair loss so far post op, if so what did u do to help the hair loss? Biotin doesn't work, I am also taking zinc, vit d and dry d 

Thanks in advance for listening 

Kathy
* Gail R *
on 7/30/12 10:05 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Yes,  I had the same problem but my doctor told me that  my thyroid levels were good--even though there was a drastic change. The reality is that I needed to greatly reduce my dose. I got to the point that I was even losing my body hair and eyebrows were almost gone. So, finally, at nearly three years out, I am continuing to  adjust down my synthroid dose. I have my brows back and have to sometime shave my legs LOL, have my hair back to normal-- but mainly, it has made me feel a lot better!
You might get more answers if you put thyroid ? in the title. Hope you can get this resolved.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

mylittleblackdress
on 7/31/12 2:35 pm - FL
I lost a considerable amount of hair from 5-6 months until 18 months post op.  I ate protein like crazy, took my vits (follow Vitalady's recommendations per my surgeon) plus biotin.  Used WEN conditioning cleanser, washing my hair as infrequently as possible.  I'm not sure if anything really made a difference but I felt like I was trying.  As long as I keep my protein up the excessive hair loss is under control.  If I get slack on my intake it starts up again. 
Lisa
ClairM13
on 8/6/12 5:18 am, edited 8/6/12 5:19 am

I know you said that Biotin didn't work for you, but maybe you weren't taking enough?

I've had a lot of hair loss since about 5 months out. I've been fighting it since with whats called Hair, Skin and Nails Vitamin. It has a ton of Biotin and other vits as well. It says to take 1 3 times daily. I take 2, 3 times daily and I saw a big difference within a couple weeks.  My hair thickened up nicely so I started taking 1, 3 times daily and it stopped working. So I'm back on 2, 3 times daily and my hair is growing in thicker again. Like I said, it takes a couple weeks so dont get discouraged. 

Just know, it makes ALL hair grow in faster and thicker lol so a lot more shaving!

Oh, I bought the Hair, Skin and Nails vit at Costco.

good luck!

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views