Upcoming surgery

Jodie_28
on 7/28/12 12:48 pm - Wyoming, MN
So after a second attempt, surgery is quickly approaching (9 days) and i'm getting really scared and nervous. Quick background, the first time i was scheduled i wasn't scared or nervous. Got to the hospital and got in the room and found out i was pregnant, so obviously surgery got cancelled. Very bittersweet. I'm glad that i had her before surgery but still a little disappointing. But this time, i seem to be having a harder time with the liquid diet (haven't cheated though) and am getting really nervous for surgery. And keep thinking if this is right for me. I was just wondering if anyone else got nervous or had second thoughts this close. i know this is what i want and i have worked hard to get here. But major surgery scares me, especially with a now 7 month old daughter. I worry about after, not being able to hold her and how it's going to work during recovery. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
J G.
on 7/28/12 5:21 pm
Hi Jodie, I can't speak to the new-mother ds thing, but I can definitely tell you that just about everyone has second thoughts.  Perfectly normal.  And I can tell you that you will be shocked at how healthy you will become.  It's amazing.  You'll have all that extra strength to chase around after your darling daughther when she starts walking.   Yaaay!
teachmid
on 7/28/12 9:47 pm - OKC, OK
Everything you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Breathe!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Blank Out
on 7/29/12 4:17 am
 Who is your surgeon?  If you have picked a vetted DS surgeon, and are having your surgery at a good hospital, you have no worries...

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

sillylinnie
on 7/30/12 3:46 am - Monroe, OH

nerves is not unusual exspecialy with a new little one. my daughter was 9mnths.  U will still be able to hold her not just walk around with her. Have a nice fluffy pillow on your belly ... its good to hug if you have to cough or if you have anaiimals that could jump uo on you, or ifyou wanna hold your lil one.  My husband would help me get her settled on the pillow like layn across it or leaning on it so I could still cuddle with her or help put her down for a nap, then he would come get her and lay her dwn.  A pillow will be you friend in more ways then one

Linda

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

Jodie_28
on 8/2/12 1:10 pm - Wyoming, MN
Thank you so much, this is extremely comforting. I was actually really worried that i couldn't even hold her. I will be sure to use a pillow, thank you for the tip.
Huneypie
on 7/30/12 4:27 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I didn't get nervous, but I really didn't believe my surgery was going to happen - I've got close before with different surgeons and it's just not happened, so I was in disbelief mostly.  Nervousness is normal though.

Please do make sure you get help with your baby.  I'm 6 days out (intestines only - stomach already done) and I'd say you need help for AT LEAST a couple of weeks.

I just saw a nurse tonight to get my dressings changed and she said that just getting my appendix and gallbladder out alone are very major surgery, so please get the help you need as you don't want to put back your recovery and have any form of complications.

Putting my recovery back really seemed to be a term my DH grasped and he's letting me off housework when I put in those terms.  Guys, even good ones, really do think you should be back to normal as soon as you're out of hospital.

Anyway all the best for a super speedy, uneventful recovery.

((Hugs))

Huneypie

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

CriscoNinja
on 7/31/12 6:06 am
DS on 06/05/12
 Are you going to the U of M?  

Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
Jodie_28
on 8/2/12 1:08 pm - Wyoming, MN
No my surgery is at St Joseph's in St Paul by Dr Scwhartz w/ Dr Koeplin assisting. The clinic is one of the center of excellence, so i have the utmost confidence in the facility itself.
nightowl
on 8/2/12 2:37 pm - Topeka, KS
Those are not familiar surgeon names in the DS world.  How many have they done?  A place that only puts in Lap-Bands can still attain a "Center of Excellence" status, so it doesn't mean much to DSers.  Have you seen or talked with any DS patients of theirs?
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views