I want to be prepared!

tina M.
on 7/30/12 7:25 am - sciez, France
 Eat slow, Drink slow, rest and take vitamins.  not much more to it.

bugirll
on 7/30/12 7:58 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I really like the Unjury Chicken flvored protein packs early out.  i used them in the hospital too.  They are high in sodium but that is not always a bad thing.  Just make sure to use WARM water NOT HO****er as the protein will chunk up on you.  Tastes better than the broth they give you in the hospital.

In the house I kept frozen shrimp and frozen scallops.  I would pan fry them right from frozen with salt pepper and garlic powder.  I could only eat a couple at a time in the beginning but they were good.

eggs
tuna
mayo
canned chicken
half and half
peanut butter

These are all things I always keep in the house. 

Dont buy a whole bunch of protein shakes...your tastes may change after surgery.  Mine sure did.  I would buy sample packs for now.

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
skinnime12
on 7/31/12 11:57 am
Good ideas, thank you! The girl from my surgeons office is mailing me a binder of info...should be interesting since she said that most of the stuff is for gastric bypass patients. Gee thanks, lol, I am definitely already knowing I am my own advocate for my health!

Oh yeah, and my NUT appointment was such a joke, she didn't even have the slightest idea what a ds'er would need. I educated her...no lie, she busted out a pad and paper to take notes!!!! INCREDIBLE!

Valerie G.
on 7/31/12 12:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I agree to not stockpile anything at home before surgery.  Have someone as your "minute man" to get you what you feel like eating at the time.  What tasted good pre op tastes like poison when you get home.  The only thing I'd recommend to stock pile is vitamins.  I started taking mine the day I came home.

At the hospital, have some slippers (or hospital gave me no skid socks), chapstick, and whatever you want to entertain you (I found that I never opened that bag - didn't care).  Bring your fav shampoo and conditioner if that matters to you, and something to style easily, like barrettes, headband and pony tail stuff.   The hospital provides the rest.  Use their gowns too.  They can give a 2nd one to use as a robe if you need it.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

skinnime12
on 7/31/12 11:59 am
Thanks Valerie! So in addition to vites, should I get any sort of protein drinks or anything?? Or like another poster suggested maybe a sample pack? I was thinking I would need a magic bullet too so I can blend up soup f it has chunks in it...what do you think?

Valerie G.
on 7/31/12 9:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I agree with the sample packs - you just don't know what you'll like or not until you're living life on the other side.  I never bothered with a bullet.  My doc had me eating real food the day I got home, so I never had to do a liquid diet.  I had a blender shaker bottle and that's all I needed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

its-killen-me
on 8/1/12 5:12 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

I would suggest making yourself a pot of homemade soup, chicken, beef or whatever and freezing it in small portions.  You can drink the broth and when you are able have the other ingredients as well, just chew everything really well.  also you can buy your favorite yogurts and jello, (mashed and gravy) fruit salad, can soups.  Protein is most important try adding unflavored protein powder to soups etc.

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views