3 Weeks post op and still feeling very sick

rockinrobin3569
on 7/25/12 2:32 pm - WA
Hello,  I am new to the forum and just wanted to get some opinions of others that have gone before me on this journey.  I am 3 weeks post of from my DS with Dr. Shrikanth at the Center for Weight Loss Surgery at St. Francis Hospital in Washington.  I am still on liquids only with 150gm of protein, in shake form, per day.  The problem is I am pretty my sick to my stomach all day every day.  I get maybe an hour were I don't feel like crap.  I have talke to the doctor about this and they say it is normal and will go away.

I was wondering if all you wonderful people have any suggestions to get rid of the nausea (sp).  I am on Zofran right now, but that doesn't even seem to be helping much.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
J G.
on 7/25/12 3:01 pm
Sorry you're not feeling well.  I was nauseous for the first 3 months.  I wasn't too concerned because after reading this board, I knew it would pass eventually.    Till then, ginger was my friend.  Some people like peppermint, also.  I took Prilosec morning and night without fail.  It really helped.  Also a good probiotic.  (Start gradually)   Really keep track of your fluids.  Some folks have to try several anti nausea meds till they find one that works.  Call the Dr. S's nurse and say that you would like to try a different one.   Hope things improve soon.  Keep us posted on how you are doing  :o)
rockinrobin3569
on 7/26/12 3:48 am - WA

Thank you for the reponse J G.  I am going to try the Ginger and give the docs office a call about a new med.  

Valerie G.
on 7/26/12 3:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Are you successfully drinking 64oz of liquids (protein drinks can count)?  Dehydration causes nausea as well as fatigue.  You may need an IV to rehydrate.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rockinrobin3569
on 7/26/12 3:52 am - WA
Valerie, thank you for the reply.  I am getting my 150gm of protein, by shakes 4oz per serving, a day.  Plus I'm getting about 40oz of water.  I will try to get more fluids in each day.  It is just really hard because I feel so crappy.  I did have some soup broth last night that really helped.  I am just going to keep trying to drink more and more each day.
merrymorris
on 7/26/12 4:50 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
It might be the protein drinks that are making you sick. Do they have lactose? WHat kind of sweetner do they have? You may need a non shake kind of protein drink. Hope you figure it out and feel better soon!
Gutless_in_Seattle
on 7/26/12 6:09 am - Seattle, WA
Try making tea with the fresh ginger, just a few thin slices in ho****er and let it steep. It really helps with nausea.
larra
on 7/26/12 8:34 am - bay area, CA
You might benefit from a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) such as omeprazole. For some of us, the symptoms of reflux can feel like nausea. Zofran is a great drug, but it might not target the problem.

Larra
determineddanni
on 7/26/12 10:51 pm, edited 7/26/12 10:52 pm
protein is good and all but you should be pushing more fluids at this point and not protein.

order of importance
H2O
protein
vits

i know its super tough to get in water when your already feeling like crap but just keep pushing. if water is not tasting well try an alternative like G2. a lot of directly post op patients have to go get a bag of fluids via IV, this is not uncommon. it truely is hard to sip sip sip.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

duncans
on 7/27/12 10:49 am
(Determined Danni--you have a very beautiful Avatar photo)

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views