Post DS Birth Control

SmallTownJen
on 7/24/12 11:19 pm - IN
DS on 10/03/12
I am scheduled for my DS on October 3rd.  I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for several years to control heavy periods.  I am also newly married so the actual pregnancy prevention would be needed as well.
Can anyone tell me their experience with either staying on the BC pills or possibly using the Depo injections?
Or if they would suggest others?
I will be discussing with my PCP in a couple weeks but wanted advice from people who have been there, done that... : )

Thank you !!
_Leslie_
on 7/25/12 1:48 am - Franklin, WI
 I had horrid experience with Depo.... Severe Depression, weight gain, irritability.... it was bad.

I'm on nuva ring now and LOVE it... you put this ring inside you (so easy to put in) leave it for 3 weeks, take out for one week (to have a period) then put a new one in for 3 weeks, etc etc...

I never have issues with it falling out... you can take it out for 2 or 3 hours before needing to put it back in... for sexy time, or whatever other reason it may need to be out ??... But, I don't have to do that.... Most times the guy doesnt even feel it if placed correctly...

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

Sarah R.
on 7/25/12 2:04 am - Luxembourg
I agree I'm also on Nuva Ring it's great!!! 

ClairM13
on 7/25/12 2:35 am

I went with an IUD (mirena) and I love it. I'm also done having children so I was looking for something a little more long lasting. I do love it and I also have friends with it that have had it removed to have children and they would recommend it as well.
I would NOT recommend the Depo...nothing but horror stories.

Good luck and enjoy your DS journey!

Valerie G.
on 7/25/12 4:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I vote IUD...no worries for 10 years or until you want to get pregnant.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Emily F.
on 7/25/12 6:09 am
Mirena IUD, you can take it out when you are ready.
Cowgirl81
on 7/25/12 11:00 am
I am also having the DS but in November. I got pregnant on depo... almost 8yrs ago now..lol Love my kiddo to death but was not ready when it happened and thought I was safe, any ways I am going in to have my cervix capped it a piece of copper they custom fit to place over it so nothing 'slips'  through.  All the side effects of so many birth controls and the what ifs I am not comfortable with.
Best of luck to you!!! =)
Cowgirl81
Shavonne P.
on 7/26/12 1:10 am
I currently am on Nuva Ring too and like it.

Is it known to have weight gain with IUD at all.  I am in a serious relationship right now, and kids are not in our forecast and I like the idea of the IUD and not having to worry at all, instead of still having to track weeks with Nuva Ring.
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
determineddanni
on 7/26/12 11:04 pm
i am currently on depo shot and love it! the first 2 months i spotted all the time but after that, i havn't had a period. its nice not to get a shot every 3 months and just not worry about it. i have been on a lot of BC options but never an IUD because i plan to have kids decently soon and having an IUD would be a waste of money. i picked the depo because its pegesterone based, which my body absolutely hates estrogen based BC. also because my doctor highly suggested it because its like tying your tubes without the surgical procedure. i love my gyno we talked for a full hour on what type i should take and i very happy with it.

i gal posted a few months ago about getting pregnant off of the nuva ring. then again you can get pregnant off of any BC method. that is why they always stress two types of BC.

there is implanon which is an implant but its not inserted like the IUD's. its implanted in your arm just under the skin. it lasts for 3 years. it is also pegesterone based like the depo and mini pill. i have heard some women get some spotting from it.

if you have never had children and don't plan on having any for 5+ years then i would go IUD for sure! if you are planning to have children sooner than that then i would choose a different method. GOOD LUCK!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Katester
on 7/27/12 4:24 am
my cousin has had 2 babies on the nuva ring. I have a Mirena IUD. Insurance covered the whole cost except $76 of it...so it will cost $15.20 a year or $1.27 a month.
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views