How long did you have your J-Tube in?

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/12 5:43 am
I'm asking for a family member here (I'm a sleever) It's week 4 now and they are still about 95% dependent on the J- tube at this point for protein. Lots of issues keeping stuff down, but thinking they haven't quite grasped yet how slow they have to drink or eat at this point. The surgeons office plans on taking tube out next week not sure it's a go at this point from the way it's looking.

Thanks,
teachmid
on 7/22/12 6:20 am - OKC, OK
Mine was in for 6 weeks.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

dtabor5
on 7/23/12 7:12 am
Sorry mine was in for 2 weeks and then  it was ready to come out on it's own... the only thing i ever did with it was to flu**** out 3 times a day with saline, but i never had a problem with slowing down and making sure i was chewing it up okay.. that may be the reason it is still in...

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

mrsannie
on 7/23/12 9:41 pm
 Mine was in for about 10 days, however like above I never used it, I only flushed it out a few times a day.  If he/she is having so much trouble keeping food down at this point call your Doc immediately.

I was soooooo happy when it came out!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
lisarn
on 7/25/12 1:16 pm - Omaha, NE
I see your Doc was Winterstein, so I am assuming that your family member went to Anthone if you are in the same area. (I'm Anthone too, and I know he does the Jtube...so more assumptions on my part!). Anyway, I was just a little over a year ago. I pretty much used mine the first week for protein, and then for the next couple of weeks just flushed it often to make sure it still functioned and to make sure I was getting enough fluids in. 
The goal by 30 days out is to get 30g of protein. Depending on what they use, they could get that down in just one or two shakes during the day, so they should be able to do that by now. They do need to be going SLOW SLOW SLOW with the drinking. I think at this stage I would have like two bites of chicken or tuna salad and that was enough. They really need to make sure they are staying hydrated enough, esp. with this heat, because that can cause nausea issues as well. The protein intake will be there if they just go slow. I mixed my powder shakes with about 6 oz of water and it would take me about 20 - 30 min to get it in. Now, I can slam down 8 oz in about 2 min.!
Hopefully the office will help with the issues...may need some testing to see if there is blockage or something mechanical that is going on.
lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views