Maryland or Michigan?? Reccomendations please...

foolishgrrl_1
on 7/24/12 11:54 am
VSG on 03/11/13
I was looking for an online link for the seminar.  Did you get it via email or when you called the office?
This is refreshing news!
Trish06
on 7/25/12 12:35 am
DS on 12/06/12
 They sent the online info to me with my out of state package. It is one of the first things I had to do. 

Blank Out
on 7/24/12 1:01 pm
 Have never heard or seen anything about Dr. Nguyen.  The other two have very good reputations, and would not hesitate with either.

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

lk1970
on 7/24/12 9:01 pm
Hi! I'm a patient of Dr Kemmeter and I'd highly suggest him! He cuts a great DS and is one of the most compassionate surgeons I've ever met! Cathy at Saint Marys will gladly help you with any questions you may have since you are out of state. Please let me know if you have any questions and best wishes!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

zix
on 7/25/12 1:23 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
You may also want to consider one of the DS surgeons in Abington, PA or Dr. Greenbaum in NJ. Both are within a doable driving distance for you from MD (I drove approx 2 hours to Dr. Greenbaum from my home in PA). Neither one has a program fee.
Sandra C.
on 7/25/12 3:14 am, edited 7/25/12 1:49 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Heather,
I chose Dr Kemmeter, an hour away, over my in town surgeon because no one in town offered the D.S., and Grand Health Partners staff was so much more helpful and super friendly. I would have traveled to a more well known hospital, but I was recovering from a big surgery, couldnt handle a long distance trip for the D.S.  Since none of my family could acompany me, I wanted to stay closer to home. 2 months prior to my D.S. decision, I had a complete hysterectomy for cancer, with a complete cure at Saint Mary's in Grand Rapids. They were all terrific during my stay there. I felt very relaxed and comfortable having another major surgery in the same hospital 4 months later. 8 months after my D.S. I asked Dr K to do my gallbladder/appendectomy, and have a look around at the D.S. from the inside out. All my surgeries went smoothly, no problems, no surprises. I would definitely have Dr.K do any surgeries  for me in the future. He has the best knowlege of my internal  anatomy at this point. My  PCP and other docs have confirmed he would be the best prepared to succeed surgically with my rerouted insides. Pre surgery nerves were nonexhistant. The care I received at Saint Mary's, Dr K. as my surgeon, his surgical team, my confidance in his surgical skills, all contributed to my successful experience with the D.S.

As a long distance patient, I have taken advantage of computer connections with my GHP nutritionist, PA, psyc referrals, and sports physiologist. Christine my Nut is as close as my keyboard, responding quickly with lengthy correspondance about  tweeking  my diet, vitamins and refering me on to Dr. K, or PA  about more serious medical topics . Dr.K says I am connected to their practice for life, I really appreciate the safety net, just in case.

Since you have a home close to Dr.Kemmeter, I would choose him for the D.S. and use the East Coast docs in case of an emergency. Support groups in your area are a good idea, along with keeping in touch with on line help from us here. I have never regretted my surgical choices of surgeon, hospital or D.S. procedure. What an exciting time for you !!!   You wont believe how your life will change , full of surprises, all positive, of course.  ;-)      

Dont hesitate to PM me with any little questions. I love to help.  
Sandra

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Sandra C.
on 7/25/12 3:45 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 The Seminars presented by Dr Kemmeter cover many of the topics you can find on Youtube- Search Dr Kemmeter, Eight West TV. follow Michelles Journey on youtube, and follow Dr. K into the Saint Mary's surgical suite for a glimpse of his team working along side of him.

Checkout these Youtube titles-  and more......

"Bariatric Surgery Success Stories" May 30, 2012-- Current entry-  Barb & Lisa discuss w/Dr.K on  Eight West TV " Its hard work, not an easy fix he says".  www.saintmarysweightloss.org .  Kathy Mooney can answer your long distance questions, on this site.

"Weight Loss by Bariatric Surgery"--- Michelle lost 210 lbs-- Before  & After photos

"Four Bariatric Surgery Options Including the  Duodenal Switch"   Personal patient comorbidities solved.

"Three Weight Successes"   New England Journal of Medicine-- 95% diabetes remission rate at 2 years.

The pre surgery bariatric seminar is a prerequisit for surgery because it covers necessary explanations of all the surgeries, their pros and cons, as required by the surgeon, and meets the insurance co's educational requirement lectures. If you are a very long distance patient, they may be able to present these to you during your office visits, which are booked together one after another, all on one day, or a few days close together.

Duodenal Switch- lap

foolishgrrl_1
on 7/25/12 1:19 pm
VSG on 03/11/13
You guys are amazing, thank you so much for all of this info, this is more than I ever dreamed. It's so wonderful to have a group that I can talk to about this life choice.  I've never been on a message board or support group, I've always had one on one therapy.  This group thing is fabulous, thank you all, I can't express how much this feedback means to me!

Heather
Sandra C.
on 7/25/12 1:44 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Heather,
Cathy Mooney sent me the youtube site with a compiled  set of 20 videos of Dr K, 8-West TV and weight loss through Saint Mary's.
youtube.com/smweightmanagement

Saints has a facebook page also to check out.

I'm so happy you are on the right track finding out how to make all this happen for you. Dr K, Saint M, and Cathy send prospective patients here to OH all the time. You are not alone in your search for info. We've all been there. !!!  

Sandra

Duodenal Switch- lap

Heather E.
on 7/27/12 4:22 am
I also really recommend Dr. Kemmeter and Grand Health Partners.  Although Dr. Foote did my actual DS, I have also had contact with Dr. Kemmeter, and he is awesome.  I have liked pretty much everyone I have had contact with at GHP (except for the psychologist, Scott, but that is another story).  Dr. Kemmeter is very pro-DS and has worked very hard at increasing the DS knowledge of the staff at GHP, including having a dedicated DS PA for us to see post-op and educating the NUTS about our specific nutritional/supplemental needs.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views