Weight regain...

Amy W.
on 7/21/12 7:21 am - Buckeye, AZ
I'm so confused... how come when I actually eat right and exercise I start gaining a lot of weight? I don't know what happening! :/ Can anyone relate?

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

MajorMom
on 7/21/12 7:31 am - VA
Sounds frustrating. :(  The folks that are further out that were successful in taking weight off went low carb...really low carb and they drank about a gallon of water a day.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Amy W.
on 7/21/12 7:50 am, edited 7/20/12 7:55 pm - Buckeye, AZ

That's what I started doing! It seems like if I eat whatever I want then I always lose weight, but once I start trying to diet and start exercising then I gain! I'm so confused!
I'm almost 8 years out and have never monitored what I ate. I ate anything and everything and ONLY drank Pepsi this entire time. No matter what I ate/drank I was always 165 for yeeeeears. I decided it was time to lose more so I started doing low carb, majority protein, drinking only G2, and actually started exercising, and now I'm 175! There is NO way! I even bought a new scale and it came today; it still says 175! This is ridiculous! I'm doing everything better and I end up gaining? What's this about?! Something is going on with my body and I don't like it! :/

p.s.- People say "You're gaining muscle". But all I'm doing is Leslie Sansone's 3 mile workout every morning. That can't be it! This is so weird! I'm desperate for answers.

p.s.s- I used to jog outside but now that it's summer it's over 100° everyday so I'm stuck exercising inside.

ann M.
on 7/21/12 10:29 am - Northern, VA
 When did you start exercising?  With new exercise / muscle exertion muscles are damaged and repaired.  During this process, lots of water is retained.  Also, when initially dieting, your body uses stored glycogen for energy.  This uses up a lot of water.  As you continue dieting, your body begins to rebuild its glycogen stores.  When it does that, it takes a lot of water becuase glycogen isn't very water soluble.

All that to say...Scales lie and You're doing the right thing!  It's probably jus****er weight.  I bet you start feeling a difference in clothes and on the scale very soon.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Gutless_in_Seattle
on 7/21/12 8:24 am - Seattle, WA
How are your clothes fitting? If you're not gaining inches muscle weight very well could be the culprit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Women and Cats will do as they please,
...and Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS with Dr. Myur Srikanth
Virgin DS Lap Surgery scheduled for December 4th, 2012

Amy W.
on 7/21/12 12:52 pm - Buckeye, AZ
I started my diet July 8. I was 168. July 15 I was 170. July 18 I stared at the scale and said if I'm still 170 I'm gonna die! And to my complete SHOCK it said 174!!! I don't know whats happening!!! :/ Maybe I'm just looking for results too quickly? Its just REALLLLLLLY hard for me to eat right and diet because I'm still to this day I complete food addict. I just don't know how I start dieting and I gain so much in so little time. I thought it might be water weight so I bought Diurex (sp?) but I don't know - I've never taken a diuretic. Something needs to change because I should weigh at least like 140 or something (I'm almost 5'7). I have loose skin, but still... I should lose weight when I diet - not gain rapidly!!!! Gosh... I'm so lost and confused... :/
Now I'm so discouraged that I'm just eating everything in sight like I normally do. I'm sure I'll lose weight now... ::rolls eyes::. What is going ooooooooon? :( 

Sandra C.
on 7/22/12 3:43 am, edited 7/22/12 11:26 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I have the most weight loss with keeping carbs about 30, not over 50 day. Increase protein with dark meat chicken with the skin, -legs, thighs, wings, and steak. Bacon and sausage are good, watch the salt, it can add water weight. I used low salt bacon, but didnt over do prepared meats because of  unhealthy nitrates. Deli rare roast beef thin sliced wrapped around cheese sticks, or spread with flavored creme cheese  rolled up. Watch out for carbs in milk, I prefer fruit protein drinks to add protein to my day. Individual packets are easy to carry, blend into a water bottle on the go. Find them on line- Diet Direct, or Bariatric Choice. they had a sale on them this month, free shipping with a min. order.
Maintaining my goal weight post surgery is going fine. When I feel like munching on carbs, I turn to popcorn, increases fiber, still watch the salt. I lost 6 more lbs recently from not eating as much solid food, but increased shakes, protein fruit drinks, a few chicken wings, fresh cherries, popcorn, and a cookie here and there from the hotel, daily while traveling. With the heat of summer, smart    water has added electrolites, made my shakes and fruit drinks with it. Jerkee helps me add protein too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

AMFGMD
on 7/22/12 8:24 am
Hi, your diet sure sounds great, hope you don't mind me trying it out for myself
Sandra C.
on 7/22/12 12:26 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 My diet was very unusual because I was living alone in a hotel for 3 weeks while my son was at Johns Hopkins Hospital. I was under a lot of stress, no scale, a mini fridge and microwave, no kitchen. I'm not sure my diet is healthy for a long duration. I have been gluten free since my surgery 11 months ago. Also added to my hotel/stress  diet--- kettle corn, potato chips( not many at a time) cheddar cheese, ham and salami-(one dinner) small salads with roast beef and cherry tomatoes, italian dressing- not low fat. Hotel size tiny cups of peanut butter, with sun chips to dip, blueberries. A few treats of ice cream were so good.

All my portions were very small, I have tried to keep my sleeve from stretching out all year, to curb my appetite. At the first signs of fullness, I stop eating, and  wrap it up for later. I do this for all restaurant meals, but never do eat the left overs. For these 3 weeks, I made sure to have at least 100g protein, 64 oz fluids, 1/3 of i****er with nothing added. All day long I carried a water bottle, with protein fruit drink, or jus****er. when it was empty I grabbed a new one from my small cooler loaded with frozen water bottles, and protein fruit drinks, sipped all day on and off. The milk/cream based shakes dont keep long out of the fridge on the go, in my hot car. Inside car temp was 111 degrees in Baltimore last week. Saved the cream filled shakes for breakfast and bedtime in the hotel.

Up until this month, I was sugar free the whole year. With my D.S. the sugary foods didnt stay in me very long.  Not much gas with few flour products. The popcorn provided lots of fiber, not much salt or fat since it was pre popped , I had lots of it daily, and fresh blueberries too. For a change I ate what I wanted, in the size portions I wanted too. Without the D.S., stress eating for 3 weeks, I would have gained at least 10 lbs. instead I lost 6.  I am so grateful to have chosen the D.S. over just the sleeve.

I thought I was gaining the whole time because my waist was feeling thicker. Always have exercised at the gym with weights and cardio. At the hospital it was about a mile walk  from the  parking garage  to my sons room, and back. Sometimes I visited twice a day, 4 miles total, walking as fast as I could. Everyone walks the halls fast at Hopkins, I fit right in.   ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Amy W.
on 7/21/12 12:53 pm - Buckeye, AZ
p.s.- I could swear my jeans are tighter too! This is ridiculous.

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 126 views