Probiotics, sometimes less is better...

mrsannie
on 7/19/12 10:48 pm
 Hi guys, I wanted to share an experience that hopefully helps others who suffer as I do...

I am 21/2 years out and constantly gassy!  No matter what I ate during the day, it seemed I would turn it into gas that would not end until the next morning and start over again.  

I am mostly compliant, but I eat things I shouldn't sometimes, I am human.  I take my vits everyday and a probiotic.  Actually, I was taking 2 a day, one in the morning and one with dinner as I've read a lot of DSers on the boards do.

One night I realized that I had forgotten to take my probiotic with dinner, and I wasn't gassy, I chalked it up to luck.  Then 2 days later I forgot again, same thing, even though I was not an angel during the day.  So the next night I tempted fate, took my probiotic in the morning and not in the evening, again I was much less gassy!

OK so here's the moral of the story, just like Mom said, "just because someone else is doing something doesn't mean you should do it too!"  And again she was right!  

Just wanted to share!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
* Gail R *
on 7/20/12 8:04 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I know that if I start on a new probiotic, it gives me all ikinds of trouble for at least a wee****il I get used to it. I wonder what would happen if you stopped all together and just relied on yogurt & kefir for your probiotics? Good luck with getting it sorted out. I finally have got the gas undre control with careful diet choices but sadly I am not always careful...

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

mrsannie
on 7/20/12 8:46 am
 I seem to be fine with 1 a day, but I also eat a lot of yogurt so maybe it was just too much!

And don't feel bad, you are not the only one who sometimes isn't so careful with their food choices!  :)

Thanks for the reply!

Crazeru
on 7/20/12 9:16 am
I've tried probably 6 different probiotics and can't handle any of them.  I end up taking a 250mg Flagyl once a week or every other week, when I notice the bad bacteria are causing too much gas.    

What works for one DSer may not work for another.  You have to listen to your body.  I'm glad that you discovered 2 was 1 too many.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

mrsannie
on 7/20/12 11:20 pm
 Many do not work for me either!  I now take Digestive Advantage Gas Formula (they are cheap too, $7 for 30) and have had good luck.

Where do you get the Flagyl?  Has you Dr. suggested you take it once a week?  I have read about antibiotic resistance with too much Flagyl, how long have you been doing this?  And it works at such a low dosage?

Thanks for the info!  :)

godzilla
on 7/20/12 6:52 pm - Israel
I know I'm only a RnYer but my body in gas acts like a DSer.
I started probiotic and take twi in the morn and sometimes at night too.
However I did read somewhere that we should take for a certain amount of tine then stop for a week and start again...
So I guess that although there are benefits to taking probiotic, each persons body is individual and we have to play with probiotic (or not) and all our other supplementes to find what works best for each of us.
Mikimi in Israel
Valerie G.
on 7/20/12 9:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I know exactly what you mean.  I take it even a step further and just enjoy a cup or two of yogurt everyday and it makes a huge difference for me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views