What about gas??

mrs_southy
on 7/17/12 4:26 am - Piketon, OH
Is gas really an issue with the DS? 

12 pounds lost pre-op.  Actual starting weight 355.

southernlady5464
on 7/17/12 4:52 am
Only if I eat the wrong foods FOR ME! (Milk for me is a BIG ONE)

Each person has their own "wrong" foods but typically anything made of white flour will do most of us in. And amount has it's own component...some of us can eat a small amount with no issues, others can't touch the stuff.

You will get as many answers as there are people.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

kathy215
on 7/17/12 4:55 am
Gas is Definetly an issue with the DS.   You have to remember the digestion process has changed.  But for me depending on what I eat depends on the severity of the gas if I eat tooanu carbs watch out. Lol.   I am 17 months post op. I wouldn't change having the DS for anything in the world, Incan deal with the gas.   I always have stock in air freshner, I have about 10 cans of air freshner in the house 
bugirll
on 7/17/12 5:38 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
It was a bigger issue when I was newly post op.

For me, it is beans, beans are the worst.  I can get away with a slice of whole wheat bread much better than beans.  That being said, I eat that kind of stuff very rarely as it is not good for weightloss.

If I feel gas coming and I am at work, I excuse myself to the bathroom and use spray.  I will not lie, when I have gas, it is very stinky.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
halblingefrau
on 7/17/12 6:22 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Beans and I are mortal enemies, as well.  Beans give me PAINFUL gas.   However, if I eat too much sugar or carbs in one sitting, I'll get deadly smelling gas (although it's not painful like beans).  I have no trouble with milk or whole grain bread (not whole wheat... there is a difference).  Rice and I aren't friends but more because it makes me feel tight.  Pasta also causes bad gas.  And my boyfriend already knows to stay away from me if I decide to have a soft pretzel.  ;)

Realistically, even when you're eating perfectly, you'll still have gas.  It's a fact of life.  However, eating right and staying away from your personal gas-triggering foods will reduce it SUBSTANTIALLY. 

Valerie G.
on 7/17/12 9:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yes, but controllable by what you eat.  You learn your triggers easily.  For me, it's pasta, pizza dough (most), straight milk and onions for sure.  Other things I discover along the way.  If I'm going to be adventurous with food, I'm going to do it when I'm plopped home on the couch.  I have to stand in front of groups often, and have never embarrassed myself, if that's what you're concerned about.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

duncans
on 7/17/12 2:31 pm
I am a nurse and work requires that I am in close bodyspace with patients and co-workers. On my work days I have only eat  small green salads (no onions) and protein (meat & some hard cheese). No nuts, no milk, fruit, no flour, no rice, no potatoe----no carbohydrate except for a banana. This is hard to do (12 hr shifts) , but the gas that I would otherwise produce is too humiliating to "share".
I am, I think, on the far end of the spectrum. Most people can tolerate a greater variety without the gas. However, it is the luck of the draw. No one knows just how they body will respond post DS.

merrymorris
on 7/18/12 12:52 pm - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I am one of those people that doesn't really have gas much. I can eat stuff with flour or carbs in small amounts and be fine. I've never eaten a lot of carbs at one time though because I am only three months out so it could get worse.
_Leslie_
on 7/23/12 3:34 am - Franklin, WI
 not sure how far out you are but that may very well change one day (i hope it doesnt)

I used to be able to eat those carbs in small amounts and be fine... Now, One friggin bite and i'll blow the heck up

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

Sher Bear Mama
on 7/22/12 3:59 pm
I haven't had issues with gas. When I was about 2 or 3 months out I remember that if I had any sugars in my diet--even milk sugars, I'd have nasty smelling farts. So I started taking Devrom with every meal for about 3 weeks. It totally cleared up the farting. Now that I'm 7.5 months out I haven't had any gas issues--I probably fart less than I did before surgery. I also only poop once a day at best. Sometimes I only poop once every couple of days.

Sheri
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views