i'm considering getting the DS

oncetwice
on 7/16/12 5:46 am, edited 7/16/12 11:02 pm
i think this might be the right procedure for me because, from what i have read, it seems like this fits my eating habits the most and that i'd have to change the least. so i want to know from people who have lived it, am i mistaken?

i'm a meat and potatos and pasta kind of person. those are probably the top 3 staples of my diet. i'm also someone who does not always need to eat 3 meals a day. some days i only eat once, other days i eat more often. 

what kind of foods will i have to avoid if i were to have this surgery? please be specific. i read in one post something vague about not being able to eat white bread and not being able to have sugar. is that true?

bugirll
on 7/16/12 6:29 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

DS eating is very Atkins (sp?) like.  High protein, moderately high fat, low carb especially during weightloss.  Some people have problems with wheat causing looser stools and gas.  Some people have lactose intolerance even if they didnt have it before.  And your tolerance can change over time.  If you have not already, please read every page of      DSFacts.com and pick a vetted surgeon.

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
PattyL
on 7/16/12 6:39 am
 Keep on reading and learning.

We eat meat, and meat, and meat.  High protein, high fat, and low carb.  In other words lower sugar.  Pasta and potatoes are carbohydrates.

You will need in the neighborhood of 100 gr protein per day for life and quite a few supplements as well.  You have to be very serious about doing this or you could become quite ill as a result of malnutrition.

You always eat protein first.  Then if you can fit it in, a little bit of veggies.  At first this is work, it just takes over your life.  You will have to eat more than 3 times a day in the beginning or rely on protein shakes(without sugar).

In your weight-loss phase you should be eating like Atkins induction except with more protein.  If you want to see what it's like, read up on it.  Try it for a couple weeks and see if it's a lifestyle you can live with.

We are all different.  Some people eat as they please and sail right on down to goal.  Others, like me, still have to work at it.  I am still always on a diet and watching my carbs because I can gain weight easily.  Some people have problems tolerating certain foods post-op.  I CAN eat anything but I still have to concentrate on protein to stay healthy.
Jessyw
on 7/16/12 7:57 am - polarbears&igloos, AK
 For me personally it wasn't only about the eating style, it was also about the way the procedure is done and how my body would function after wards. 

White bread, sweets, soda, pasta and all are a no go after surgery, if you want this to work out for you stay away from carbs for as long as possible. After my surgery I could no longer handle anything made with white flour, I still cannot. It gives me gas, bloats me, and gives me intestinal pains. Also I get very liquid stools. Sometimes if I am constipated I will eat something made with white flour, it usually helps loosen things up. 

I eat meat all the time. Meat makes my body feel amazing, when I eat a pure chicken breast or anything that has NO breading I feel the best. 

Even if bread doesn't bother you, you need to stay away from it. Remember we will absorb 100% simple carbs (sugar, white flour) but only about 40% protein which means we must eat double amounts of protein to get a good amount in. 

I also eat a lot of complex carbs, such as veggies which I usually add lots of butter to. It helps even things out. I hope this doesn't sound like a big dash to your diet because honestly being able to eat meat, fat and complex carbs is enough to make you really happy in life. You don't need simple carbs, it may be what got you here in the first place. 

Pasta is a hard thing to deal with since it is pretty common in dishes. I personally switched out everything that contained white flour with things that are WHOLE wheat. I use WHOLE wheat noodles, and dream fields noodles when I want to have some pasta. Its a great substitute. 

I also eat WHOLE wheat bread, WHOLE wheat buns and so on. I do not eat anything that contains white flour any longer. And I have to say my life has been great. 

So as long as you can cut out everything with lots of sugar and white flour then the D'S is the way to go. But honestly no matter what surgery you have, even if you didn't have surgery white flour/sugar are not needed and do more harm then good. 

-Jessy

Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
merrymorris
on 7/16/12 8:41 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Yeah, I would say a big misconception about the ds is that you can eat what you want and still lose weight. You really cannot. Like the others said, it is about protein, fat and complex carbs. Now, once you have lost your weight people begin to add in other things like sugar and stuff. But everytime I have ever read about regain it is when people are eating simple carbs. Weight loss surgery isn't a magic thing. I was hoping it was but it isn't. You still have to follow a "diet" and you can't eat what you want if you are really into sweets and carbs like I am. Just the way it goes. You do lose weight pretty quickly and have a better quality of life.
oncetwice
on 7/16/12 9:03 am
i have read that dsfacts.com thing but i havent found it to be very informative at all. it's pretty vague and just regurgitates the same info that majority of websites and articles say about ds, hence why i'm asking here.

and this.... seems a little counter-intuitive to leave in the parts that absorb the gain-weight carbs and sugars and take out the parts that absorb the keep you healthy meats..... wtf? the way the articles and stuff makes it sound is as if it is the sugars that you dont absorb anymore. why/how does it "cure" people of diabetes then if it has virtually no effect on the way we process carbs that turn into sugars that turn into fat?

if potatos and pasta are no-nos for this surgery forever then this isnt the procedure for me, and i guess none of the procedures are for me either, and this is really discouraging. 

thanks for the input thus far though everyone. it's appreciated.
bugirll
on 7/16/12 9:22 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
You need to be willing to change the way you eat with all the WLSs. 

The DS has the most weight loss and the best long term results.  It has the highest rate of resolving comorbidities.

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
determineddanni
on 7/16/12 10:10 am
the reason why it has a cure rate 98% diabetes is for several different reason but the most prominant one is the way the intestines are configured. The duodenum is HUGE part in how we process our sugars aka carbs. There are some doctors that are doing just the 'switch' part of the surgery just to help with diabetes. Not so much the US as of yet.

There is no surgery that will let you eat horrible and stay waffer thin. The DS is proven to have the best long term success in keeping off the weight compared to any other surgery. This does not mean you can abuse your 'tool'. DS is the most forgiving but you still have to follow guidelines.

example
h20 64+
protein 30-60-90
vits
then have your carbs 50

this is more strict when in weight loss phase (first 2 years)
once you hit maitenance then some people sit around 100 carbs, some at 150.

when you have this surgery you 'have' to change to give your body what it needs, otherwise can get very ill.

honestly though eating high protein is divine... just one word.... bacon!
i would do some more reading/educating:) good luck

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

halblingefrau
on 7/17/12 6:28 am, edited 7/17/12 6:30 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Potatoes and pasta aren't no-nos forever, but you have to be sparing and careful with them.  You CANNOT eat like you did as a pre-op, no matter what surgery you look to have.  For me, I'll occasionally have a small baked potato with all the fixins (luckily for the DS, butter cheese and sour cream are all great things).  Or sometimes I'll have a small amount of pasta if I'm really craving it.  I don't deny myself any foods (except for beans... beans and I do NOT get along well).

I can tell you though, that after almost a year since my DS, I don't really crave the simple carbs like I used to.  Sure, once in awhile I'll have some.  But it's not a daily or weekly thing and honestly?  I really couldn't care less.  I thought I'd die if I couldn't have pasta and rice and potatoes, pre-surgery.  Now, although I'd miss the occasional indulgence, you could take those things out of my life and I really wouldnt' miss them.

If you're not willing to change your eating habits, no WLS will work.  Sorry, but that's the truth.  Your statement that the DS will change your eating habits the least makes me wonder if you are truly serious about making the life change that WLS requires.  You need to reassess what you think WLS will do and why you want it.  Additionally, you can't be willy nilly about your food/vitamin intake.  I NEVER eat 3 meals a day.  I also never eat 1 meal a day.  I am consistently consuming some form of protein every 3 to 4 hours.  I rarely get hungry, and sometimes I have to remind myself to eat.  You HAVE to eat after WLS, especially after the DS.  You can't go into it with the mindset that you will only eat once or twice a day adn that is what will help you lose weight.

If you want the so-called easy way out with as little change to your eating habits as possible, then you are DEFINITELY in the wrong place.  Anyone who has undergone surgery will tell you it isn't easy, but it's extraordinarily rewarding.

PattyL
on 7/17/12 8:14 am
 The theory is that type 2 diabetes is caused by intestinal hormones.  Production of these hormones is stimulated/ increased by food passing through the small bowel.  Since most of your small bowel is bypassed, food no longer travels that path.  Therefore, diabetes gone.  Usually instantly post-op and for good.

There's no way to bypass the part of your bowel that processes sugars(carbs) and leave intact the part that processes proteins.  Wow, that would be great!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views