New and I have a few questions

kegafford
on 7/14/12 11:20 am
Hi Everyone,

After looking and hoping and praying I finally got a job that pays for weight loss surgery.  I am looking at DS but I need to confirm that the surgeon I pick does it.  If not I will be getting RNY surgery. 

My question if anyone has paid cash or how much did it cost with your insurance.  I am trying to see my cost for this  becasue I will have co pay but if I start saving now I will ahve the other part covered.

Also  if you have a hernia will that fix it at that time  so you can do like a two for one so you do not have to go back and get it fixed again ?

Thanks
Kim
MsBatt
on 7/14/12 11:51 am
You can find a list of vetted DS surgeons at www.dsfacts.com There aren't a whole lot of them, so you may well need to travel in order to get a DS. Trust me, it's worth it.

Self-pay prices are going to vary widely. Last time I heard, you could go to Brazil and gt a DS with Dr. Marchesni for around 16K, everything included.

And yes, your surgeon should be able to fix your hernia at the same time as your DS.
larra
on 7/15/12 12:12 am - bay area, CA
The first priority is to learn for yourself the details of your insurance coverage. There are so many different policies available that no one here can tell you how much your co-pays will be. You are entitled to a copy of your policy, either on paper or on the internet. Don't trust what some random customer service employee tells you over the phone, read the policy for yourself. No one cares about this more than you.

Next, check the list of vetted DS surgeons at dsfacts.com to make sure you are seeing someone *****ally does the DS. Most bariatric surgeons don't, and will often try to steer you away from the DS and towards whatever they like to do instead so as to avoid losing a paying customer (well, your insurance is paying, but you see what I mean). If you are unsure, ask here for feedback.

And the hernia - hernia's come in different sizes and different locations so I can't say for sure, but often this is something that can be repaired along with your DS. The surgeon will need to examine you pre-op, and this is definitely an important question to address with him/her.

Larra
teachmid
on 7/15/12 2:50 am - OKC, OK
You might look at Dr. Stewart in Denton, Texas for his self pay prices.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views