To remove or not to remove....

skinnime12
on 7/13/12 7:23 am
So my Dr. is giving me the option to have my gallbladder removed during surgery or not. My ultrasound shows that I have no noticeable gallbladder issues and is essentially healthy. I think I am leaning towards having it removed in order to avoid any future complications from drastic weight loss. Also, I do have a family history of gallstones. Did any of you have the choice and what was your decision? Are you happy with your choice?

PS- They are submitting to insurance TODAY!!!!!!!!! Prayers, positive thoughts, crossing fingers...ANYTHING IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!
MajorMom
on 7/13/12 7:39 am - VA
 Wishing good luck all the way. :)  

My doc didn't give me choice and left my gall bladder in. No issues so far but I always knock on wood when I say that.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 7/13/12 9:10 am - OKC, OK
My surgeon routinely removes the gallbladder and appendix. I'm glad he did.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Valerie G.
on 7/13/12 11:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Get it out - Get it out - WaaaaaayyyyyYYYYYy out!
The whole dietary change and dropping weight can cause gallstones.  Avoid another surgery! 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TravelingMomofTwo
on 7/13/12 1:56 pm
 My Doc routinely takes out gallbladder and appendix and personally I'm glad-gallstone attacks can be awful! Ive been joking that I'm losing 2 1/2 organs, lol!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

duncans
on 7/13/12 2:34 pm
My surgeon said that a cholecystectomy usually requires another trochar placement, prolonging surgery. Removal does not = no gallstones. They still form and can lodge in the ductal system.  I still have mine. My mom had G stones. I haven't had any issues . Knock on wood.

PattyL
on 7/14/12 4:18 am
 I insisted mine be removed and I'm glad I did.  More than a few times people who kept their GB have had to have another surgery to remove it.  Some take an expensive medication to try and preserve their GB, but why bother.

Many people who have been heavy will eventually have GB problems.  Especially if they gain and lose over and over.
skinnime12
on 7/14/12 4:20 am
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I think I am going to have him remove it. Better to just avoid any issues. Hope you all have a great weekend and keep those prayers for an approval coming
J G.
on 7/14/12 1:27 pm
Yank that sucker!  GB pain is noooooo fun!
merrymorris
on 7/15/12 9:47 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
GET IT OUT!! I was not given the option and i just had to have mine out two weeks ago. The pain was horrible before the surgery and then the recovery was almost as rough as the DS. Didn't take as long to heal though. I am not even 3 months out from the DS...
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 125 views