Has anyone advocated for DS after they are on the RNY pathway?

gaiamist
on 9/4/12 6:44 pm - Windsor, Canada
 I met with someone from the Toronto surgeon's team on Aug. 24th. I explained what I wanted and gave my rationale. They conferred and agreed to refer my file to Dr. Hong in Hamilton. I am still waiting to hear from Hamilton. Today, I read a post from someone who has just been approved by Dr. Hong for the DS. She was told the surgery will be in the new year.
Ref June/10; Dr.Treki Jan/11; Orient Jan/2011; SW Mar/11; hiatus Apr-Oct/11; Dietician class Nov/11; SW Nov/12; Dr.Treki Dec/11; psych Jan/12; Dietician Feb/12; SW Mar/12; Surg Ed class May/12; surgeon Aug 24/12 - agreed to refer file to Hamilton for DS               
nightowl
on 9/5/12 2:00 am - Topeka, KS
I offer big congrats that they agreed to refer you to someone who actually does the DS!  One step closer!
kiki2012
on 9/7/12 10:44 am - Canada
Mind if I ask what your rational was?
southernlady5464
on 9/4/12 12:20 pm
I started the RNY path at first but after doing much research, I knew the DS was for me...so I switched surgeons...then had to switch again because I had to stay in my state. Finding a surgeon who would take my insurance as well as do the DS on a lightweight was time consuming but I did it. My argument...I had to be able to take NSAIDS.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

JazzyOne9254
on 9/4/12 3:32 pm
I did a complete u-turn at about 2 weeks prior to having an RNY.  I knew about the DS, but didn't find anyone in my state who did it until I went to my RNY pre-op class.

There was a surgeon at the same hosptial who does the DS, and who did mine.  I delayed my surgery an additional six monthes, but it was worth the wait! 

Don't waste your time and the surgeon's if he/she doesn't do the DS.  He/She will try to convince you the RNY is better, completely based on myths.  Even now, most medical professionals don't know about the DS.

Find a DS surgeon near you, and go to a consult with that surgeon.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views