Unrealistic Recovery Time?

kandiekane
on 7/8/12 10:56 pm
DS on 07/16/12
I am having my surgery next Monday and even though my surgeon says I should be able to go back to work in 11 days I am still a little worried. I am a teacher and my family is going to help me get my classroom together and carry all my things into my new school. A friend of mind had the VSG and says that i am being unrealistic if I think that I will be good and ready to go in that short time frame. What are your thoughts. 3 years ago I went to work 3 weeks after a c-section (previous principal was evil and threatened my job if I didn't come back at the beginning of school year), so I am one tough cookie. I have spoken to my new principal and she is very supportive. Thanks in advance.

MajorMom
on 7/9/12 2:40 am - VA
It took me 2 weeks to heal enough and get my system in shape enough to handle 1/2 days for the first week back and I was laparoscopic. I'd crash for a nap as soon as I got home at noon. By the 4th week, I was able to work 9 hour days with a lunch break.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 7/9/12 8:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I thought I was tough, but my open DS kicked my ass.  My recovery was perfect, low pain, I was getting 100g of protein, 64oz water and all my vitamins the first couple of weeks, however I was extremely listless for a good 4-5 weeks.  I finally started feeling like myself after 6 weeks, and went back to work at 8 weeks post op.  Now, that being said, I really hit the ground running and never looked back.  At work, they really DID think I was tough as nails.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bugirll
on 7/9/12 9:26 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I had as good of a recovery as it gets and I still needed 3 weeks before I could go back to work.   I only worked 24 hours a week with a close bathroom and lots of sitting.  I was super tired for several more weeks. 
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Crazeru
on 7/9/12 9:45 am
I was almost 56 when I had my DS and was off 8 weeks.  It still took another month to get back to normal.  The weight limit for packing stuff is tough.  You don't want to pull any internal stitches.  I have a sit down job.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

kiwi C.
on 7/9/12 10:29 am
My surgeon also told me I don't need all two weeks to heal, but he signed he paper for two weeks, although I originally asked for three. Since my surgery was on a Wednesday, my boss extended it for another half week so I have a total of 2.5 weeks off.

Anyway, I am almost two weeks out of surgery (6/27) and as of today, I am feeling pretty good other than having low energy. I was able to drive a short distance and went to Lowes and stuff, but when I came home, I pretty much fell asleep for a few hours. I know everyone's body's different, but I think it;'s important to get at least two week's worth of rest before returning to work. I will let you know how I feel when I return to work on 7/16. I work in an office enviroment.

ginany
on 7/9/12 11:12 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I was totally exhausted and not ready till 6 weeks.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

buffalobillsfan
on 7/10/12 2:20 am - CA
I had an easy surgery and recovery and there was no way I could work at 11 days out.  You didn't mention whether or not your surgery is going to be lap or open.  One big reason is that my stomach was still adjusting up until about 4 weeks.  I went to the bathroom several times during the night which made me exhausted during the day.  I'm pretty sure I had to use the bathroom several times during the day as well.  If your stomach is having issues, can you leave your class quickly and hit the bathroom?  If not, you might consider Depends.  I know that sounds scary and drastic but the first few weeks the urgency level was high.  It became regular, predictible and less urgent but it was a few weeks out for me. 

Every one has a different recovery and most women can push thru being exhausted and in some pain to do what what we need to do.  I would be most worried about the bathroom issues though.  Just me!

Cheers,
Cathy

Leeayn
on 7/10/12 2:44 am - Cedar Hill, TX
I am 2 weeks out today - and I could go back with some exceptions. 
I am an Administrative Assistant and can sit, walk, etc, during the day.  My main problem is being too far away from the bathroom.  When you have to go, it's like NOW, you don't have the 2 minutes it takes to walk to the bathroom

My plan was to go back yesterday, however, my husband has to have foot surgery, he ruptured the tendon in his R ankle.  I will be staying home with him for a week afterwards.
I will go back in the office on 7/23 which is almost 4 weeks post-surgery and I'm hoping the "potty" issues will be better by then. 

Energy - I can walk around Target for a while, but I am pooped when I get home.  It all depends on what you do, how much you can hold up too and how hard you want to push yourself. 

My DS was laproscopy, 6 incisions.  My stomach is still uncomfortable, but not pain.  Just not comfortable.

Best of luck!
kandiekane
on 7/10/12 3:19 am
DS on 07/16/12
Thanks so much for the honest input. I am going to have to prepare for the worst case scenario. Maybe I can get my doctor to write some restrictions so that I can have lighter duty upon my return. Either way I am excited and relieved my surgery is finally going to happen!
Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 123 views